Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The white plastic or nylon press on button fasteners that secure the heater resistor to the case... I assume these are not reproduced. Is there a technique to remove them without breaking them or does everyone just glue the resistor & fasteners back on?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Push the middle pin out from the inside of the case. This will reduce the OD of the fastener, then it can be removed and reused.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Any ideas what to do if you don't have the fasteners?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
A '65 I am restoring for a friend used a couple of small spring retainers, think similar to door trim clips but a lot smaller and a flat head, not the U for the panel. They "work" but tear up the box a bit going in and out.

I have not been able to find a correct size drive rivet, AMK sells two, but far too big. They also have some push reatiners (kinda like the repro firwall pad plugs, ribbed plastic "bolt" to press in palce) but I have not tried any of those. A couple look like they "might" work. The origanl "T" style cowl weatherstrip fasteners would probably do in a pinch!

Alternative is a small carriage bolt or rivet. Or just a bolt or machine screw if you don't care about a rounded head look.... dab of white paint, most would never notice....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts