Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Motor is finally in. I need headers. I'm in Canada and I need to be as close to 100% fitting as possible before I order.

It's a 68 fastback 302 with Trick Flow heads. Street ride only, no racing or drag strip. Stock motor mounts, and original power steering. I have a SN95 bellhousing (7 o' clock opening) and a T5 with Modern Driveline Hydraulic clutch (master with external slave unit mounted to the bellhousing) I plan on lowering the car somewhat, so road clearance is something to consider too.

I have a Canadian supplier for Hedman 88306 headers and Hooker 6901-1HKR headers. I'd like to go long tube. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge that either will fit? From what I have read, the issue with the hydraulic setup is with the slave cylinder at the bellhousing.

My other option is Tri-y's, but I don't have much knowledge on those. I'd like to keep it below $700 Canadian.

Attachments

Reactions: baseballcrazy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dan, I've been doing a ton of research on this same subject. My 68 J code has stock PS and tri-y's. The PS ram was connected to a 'drop bracket' along the frame rail, which was in place to provide clearance for the long tubes. But having read MANY threads on this forum, it seems the drop bracket's are not the hottest idea unless you plan to weld them to the frame rail. I guess the additional drop 'angle' puts a lot of stress on the crush nuts and many have seen them rip right off the car! Huge safety factor, or lack there-of.

So I'm planning to go back to a standard ram bracket that sits right up against the frame rail, and replace the tri-y's with shorty headers. Don't know which ones yet though. I'll be subscribing here to see how this works out for you, and what others have to say. Good luck and please keep us posted!

-Jeff

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I want to stay clear from using the drop bracket. If I can't get long tubes in place, I will go with hedman shorties. Pretty much most sets of short tube headers will work because the exhaust can be custom bent to fit around things that get in the way of long tube. I just finishes reading a post where someone had installed Hooker Comp headers with a T5 and hydraulic and had no issues. Problem is does not say if they have power steering.

I'm thinking for the amount of HP gain vs the headache of long tub headers, shorties might just be the best way to go for ease of use.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm thinking for the amount of HP gain vs the headache of long tub headers, shorties might just be the best way to go for ease of use.
100% agree with this ^. I'm also looking at doing the big block hose routing for the PS. WCCC has a sweet hose bracket that connects to the LCA. My motor is still out so it's a little easier to drill the necessary holes. But check out this LINK from a Cougar forum. There's great pics and references in there that we can use on our Mustangs.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100% agree with this ^. I'm also looking at doing the big block hose routing for the PS. WCCC has a sweet hose bracket that connects to the LCA. My motor is still out so it's a little easier to drill the necessary holes. But check out this LINK from a Cougar forum. There's great pics and references in there that we can use on our Mustangs.

-Jeff
Damn, I wish I would have seen that before I bought my stock replacement lines.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I've been spending far too much time on Forums since the COVID lock down :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts