Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
We now have our 302 and tranny out of the '67 and into the '68. When we bolt it up to the automatic tranny, it no longer turns! We unbolted it and seperated the engine and tranny by about 1/4" and the engine turns again! Can any one give me a clue on this one?

Jim Lunger

P.S. It's been a while since my last post and I was no longer in the data-base.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like the torque convertor is not fully seated.....hope you haven't messed up the front pump in the trans.....
Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Ditto. The torque converter isn't in all the way. Spin it while pushing it in until it seats.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up tweaking the flexplate. If you get it running and it makes a god-awful sound, that might be the flexplate rubbing.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Although it's possible to do damage to the front pump, I only put on a new flexplate and everything was jake. And I snugged things up twice before realizing my error. The front pump is pretty stout. You should be ok with just a new flexplate ($35 or so).

Take your old one with you to the parts house to make sure the new one is exact (speaking teeth # here).

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts