Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one. What brand and what do you think about the way it works/fits? I was thinking of replacing my dual point with a Proform HEI for the 289's. Any thoughts on this scenario?
Neil

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
A buddy has a DUI (Davis Unified) on a SBF in his '46 Ford truck. Like any Chebby owner, he now keeps a spare module in the truck for when it craps out (lol).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I bought one from Davis Unified Ignition for my Mach1, but didn't install it. I need to run a 14" drop base air cleaner assembly to get the hood to close, and the HEI distributer was to big around for that. I've heard that a 13" air cleaner works fine, but I haven't seen a 13" drop base assembly. It is a quality unit and I wouldn't hesitate to use it where I didn't have fitment issues. BTW, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've owned many vehicles with HEI distributers and never had one crap out, or ever carried a spare ignition module. ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought one for my 406 off of Ebay. Had some problems with clearance, but, with a 460 in a '70, that is the story with everything...
My motor loves it. It works great, and is also a 2 wire hoohup. One wire for a 12 volt from ignition switch, and the other wire is for the hot lead to your tach.
Had to buy a pigtail from local auto parts store to hook wires up to the dist. Other than that, it is great.

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about it being the "best" but I'm running a DUI and it performs great. Here's a picture:

http://www.iwant2believe.com/eleanor/temp/DUI.JPG

As others have mentioned, it does ride a bit high, and getting a 14" air cleaner to fit may be an issue. I am running a Victor Jr. intake that has an air-gap style design, so the carb sits a bit higher than on a standard intake, and I don't have any problems with my 14" cleaner fitting.

Good luck,

Kelton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts