Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished getting my heidts 4link setup installed and got most of my disc brake hardware mounted when i got to the drivers side caliper.

The caliper at the back of the rotor does not seem to have enough clearance with the "panhard?" mounting bracket which is welded onto the axle as per heidts instructions.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if so what was your solution?

Best I can figure I have the following options if keeping both setups is the goal:

1. Grind out some clearance from the bracket.
2. Swap L & R calipers and rotate their brackets 180 degrees to mount them on the front of the rotor.

At the moment I've started working on option (2), as I'm a bit leary of mucking with the bracket and comprimising structural integrity of the 4link.

One problem now is that the parking brake cable will need to be routed around the axle and engage the brake from the back of the car instead of the front. I think this is OK, any thoughts?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do note that most of SSBC rear brake istallation instruction were incorrrectly written.
I have talked to their tech support at great lengths and they,(SSBC) admitted that they do not have a techincal writer on-hand to corrcetly write the install instructions.

I just completed installing the basic rear disc package and pointed out to them with pictures that they incorrectly written the instructions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am currently in the same boat as you. I cut open the panhard bracket and got the caliper to fit, but its too close for comfort. I also welded on extra material for the panhard bracket. I may have hit a dead end though and have taken a break. I have heard that the wilwood rear brake kit is the only one that will work. But swapping the L/R calipers may be worth one more shot. If not I will have to sell my SSBC brake kit. nick

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a Watt Linkage instead of the panhard, because of the above mentioned problem. The SSBC brakes fit nicely with the Watt Linkage.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
What watts linkage kit do you have? thanks, Mike U.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, this is a problem and we experienced the same thing. You need to use rear discs with a drum-in-disc parking brake -- the parking brake mechanism integrated into the caliper just doesn't clear the Panhard bar mount.

Kits like this are made by SSBC, Wilwood, and others.

It's a shame that whoever you bought the kit from didn't advise you of that. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Here is a link to my gallery with the modification to the bracket and pics of the caliper installed afterwards. Link The next three pics in a row show some detail. The opening in the first pic was covered with a plate that fit perfectly and then welded closed.

If required I can see if I can get another pic of the plate installed, might be a little tough to see with it assembled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts