Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just sent my '68 off to a classic car restoration shop in Michigan, and I'm going to have a ton of questions, thoughts along the way, so I thought this would be a great resource for me.

I'll attach a couple pics so folks get a sense of my car, where it's at along the restoration, etc...

So far:

It's a 'rainbow of colors' (Sierra blue) car originally.
I've had the 289 rebuilt and upgraded to 4bb carb and HiPo manifolds and added dual exhaust.
I've had the transmission rebuilt
I've had the front brakes converted to disc
I've sent to car out for a complete rotisserie restore

I'm attaching a few pics below to show before and / during

IMG_0026 is the current color / wheels / top loaded on the carrier heading out to the restoration shop
The other two are during dis-assembly. You can see the original Sierra blue on the rear deck.

Looking forward to the journey.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Looks like you’ll have a great ride when is is done

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I definitely will!

My guess is that the restore will be done sometime in the Spring of '19. Hopefully in time to take it on some summer cruises :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crazy great progress so far, more pics coming.

Here are some more pics -- you can see the original Sierra Blue color behind the front headlight housing (for example). Crazy color for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the Marti report .. very cool.

I've got a TON more pics and a link to an iCloud photo album. If anybody is interested, DM me.

I'm hoping to get the car towards the end of summer.

Any questions?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Very nice! What color are you going back with?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow looks like you had a very solid car, I'm very envious. Coming along quite nicely. I'm assuming the shop works on an hourly flat rate since it would be impossible to quote a final number for a car out of state?
Yep, time and materials, so I had a very rough $$ range and there are decisions all along the way that can either increase or save $$.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice! What color are you going back with?
I decided to go back to Brittany Blue. The original car color (as I mentioned earlier) was 'Sierra Blue'. A bit of a rare color, but it's not that nice of a color (tbh). Also going with a black top, even though the original was 'Parchment'

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I owned a 67 Brittany blue coupe for 20 year, love that color! Good choice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts