Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this forum for information for a while I need to ask a question of my own. First, a little about my car:

I have a 66 coupe that I bought when I was 15. My dad and I worked on restoring it for the next 3 years going over every part (except the transmission: had someone else do that) and getting the car back to working condition and looking nice. It's by no means concours since I changed the exterior and interior colors and made modifications like adding Granada disc brakes to the front.

I drove it happily for a few years but then school, work, marriage, and kids took time away and it's sat for the last 5. Now I need to go back through some of my earlier work and get it running again.

Which brings me to my question. I'm converting the interior to the blue/white pony interior in '66. I think this would be door code 62. I already have a new (reproduction) blue dash pad from when I originally restored the car, but the color is darker than the blue in the pony seats. I'm pretty sure the blue in the seats is close to correct, but I don't know what Ford offered in the dash pad color. Was it only a darker blue?

Obviously I don't need this to perfect or concours, but while I'm going through the work (and have my wife on board) I'd like to get the colors to be close to original, even if they weren't original to my Mustang.

The '66 convertible on this page looks like the dash pad and seat vinyl match. White 1966 Mustang Convertible with Blue Pony Interior

If my dash and seats don't match, what's the thought on door paint color? I would expect it to match the seats, but I don't know...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought of another question about this interior color: does anyone know if the blue of the pony interior for '66 is the same as the Silver Blue exterior paint color?

·
Registered
33,997 Posts
The blue of the dash was supposed to be the same as the rosette seat inserts in the standard interior, but was rarely exact.

The dash pad in your link is WAY too light.

The silver blue paint on the steel portion of the doors in 66 blue interiors and 66 blue/white deluxe interiors was coincidentally almost identical to the silver blue metallic exterior, except the interior was satin and the exterior was gloss, with far more metallic content.

These colors are correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thank you!! The dash I have looks like the same darker blue as what's under the dash carpet in your picture so I won't bother replacing it. Looking at all these photos trying to figure this out really has me itching to get my coupe back on the road even more...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I believe they only offered the dash pad in one shade of Blue in 66

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yep, only dark blue dash pads in '66.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers, everyone! I'm glad that's one less part I need to buy. Now I just need to worry about the upholstery, headliner, carpet, door panels, kick panels, wheels, paint ...

Has anyone seen my hog ring pliers?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only dash pad I've ever seen that came close to matching the interior color was black.:pirate:
My car was originally black interior (silver exterior with a black vinyl top according to the door panel). It had the original upholstery when I bought it but it was in an unsalvageable shape. My younger self thought that the curves of this car deserved to be in a lighter color to really show it off.

Years later I've come to realize that the only problem I really had with black interior is that the example I had was trashed. Since then I've seen what it's supposed to look like and it's still beautiful. Live and learn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The blue of the dash was supposed to be the same as the rosette seat inserts in the standard interior, but was rarely exact.

The dash pad in your link is WAY too light.

The silver blue paint on the steel portion of the doors in 66 blue interiors and 66 blue/white deluxe interiors was coincidentally almost identical to the silver blue metallic exterior, except the interior was satin and the exterior was gloss, with far more metallic content.

These colors are correct.

Hello @22GT...can you tell me where you got your dash mat?

·
Registered
33,997 Posts
Hello @22GT...can you tell me where you got your dash mat?
Hmmm… You're asking a geezer to remember where he got a dash pad 25 years ago. I would say your best bet is go with an "original tool" dash pad from your favorite vendor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm… You're asking a geezer to remember where he got a dash pad 25 years ago. I would say your best bet is go with an "original tool" dash pad from your favorite vendor.
@22GT Ok, sorry about that...didn't realize you bought it 25 years ago. We have the same interior as you. I can't find an Aqua color replacement dash pad, so I thought the mat would be a good, temporary measure.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
My car was originally a blue and white pony interior car. The remains of the dash were a darker blue than the seats.
On a side note, the dash trim at the windshield and the blue on the A-pillars were not silver-blue, but a darker shade of blue to more closely match the dash.
My interior has been done for almost a year now, but I don't have any pictures of it. Here are a couple "in progress" pics:

003.jpg

013.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
under construction but this is a 65 which is more med blue.
@69RR...looks great! Also like the Jan Arden (a Canadian like me!) lyrics in your sig!!

@22RT...OK, thanks for the info. We just got this Mustang about 3 months ago...my wife has wanted one since she was a teenager, and I'm a Mopar guy ('67 Dart GT 'vert, sorry about that), so Mustangs are a learning curve for us.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts