Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I decided to introduce myself here instead of the main forum since I know many of you are local to the Phoenix area. I have been lurking on and off this board for several years and have found some great info here.

A little about me and my car. I purchased it here in Az about 10 years ago and I was all set to go forward with my resto, but as many have experienced I ran into some roadblocks; mostly psychological :crazy:LOL. So here I am 10 yrs later with a repainted car and nothing more to show. I am not very mechanically inclined and have very little experience working on cars other than the minor cosmetic fixes and oil change type DIYs.

I would love nothing more than to be able to get the ball rolling with this car. I was hoping that some of the locals here would be willing to give me a hand with my project if they had the time. I really want to learn about the how to's and I am certainly willing to compensate anyone for their time.

I hope to meet some of you in the future
-Eric

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I wish I was closer. Welcome to the VMF! I just keep plugging away. One project at a time. I get info and dive in. If I need a tool I figure it is cheaper than labor and you just can't mess up one of these things unless you start cutting on it.

Make a punch list of everything that needs to be done and start at the top and work on one thing at a time. Slow and steady gets the job done. If your pic is what the car looks like, I would start with finishing the body and getting it rolling. That alone will do allot for the Physiological part! I know when I get down on my Mustangs I just fire one up and drive it to remind me why I do it.

I as well as I am sure others here will gladly give you our .02 worth when you need it!

Again Welcome and I hope to see you at one of the many events or just when I am in Phoenix. I drive a tour bus and was there for the show in Glendale. though I missed the VMF members, I got to see some great cars and get some ideas.

Mel

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
Welcome to the Southwest Forum. There are a number of people here from the Phoenix area. Are you a member of the Copperstate Mustang Club? If not, it might be worth checking them out. It's a large club and there may be someone in your area. Also, they'll be hosting an MCA National Show in Chandler in October next year.

·
Registered
558 Posts
What part of the valley do you live in?

Looks like you are going to have a very nice car when it is done!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou all for your replies so far.
Guruatbol, I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I know it is always hard to take the first step.

Laurie,
I have been in awe of what you have done with your cars. Not wanting to sound chauvanistic, but you do not see many women with the drive that you have to work on cars. You amaze me.
Now if you could just have a talk with my wife.
I certainly know of the Copperstate club. Many yrs ago when I first purchased my car I had a client when I lived in Chandler who was intimately involved with the club. I think the last name was Tucillo (sp??). They invited me to get involved back then, but my schedule made it very difficult.

Rimcrew,

I live in Queen Creek. Near Sossaman and Chandler Heights.

What I really need the most help with is pulling the engine. I don't know all the in's and outs of doing it and as I stated I really don't have any mechanical experience.
I am considering a crate engine to go EFI and improve MPG's and performance. My goal for this car is to be a daily driver. I plan to farm out a lot of the work, and plan to keep what I am going to do to cosmetics and minor mechanical.
My short version of what I would like to do is

1) Pull engine
2) Re-do suspension and steering (poss R and P)
3) Change to disc brakes either front only or all
4) Repaint engine compartment
5) Replace wiring harness/gas tank
6) Replace engine
7) Finish interior
8) Drive.....alot

I would greatly appreciate anyone that could help me with step one and give me some advice on steps 2 thru 7.
Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement
-Eric

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I am getting 23 MPG frwy in my 65 with lower gears and 26 MPG in the 67 with stock gears. The 67 has a T5 five speed, stock rear end, (I think it's 300)and the 65 has a TKO 600 IIRC 353s in an 8" with trakloc. Neither car is EFI. You can get good MPG with a carb. For me the carb is easy to work on. To pull the engine is not hard, you just have to take it one step at a time and make sure everything is disconnected.

I started my training on Fords and they really are not that hard. You just have to take your time the first time around. Check and double check.

Mel

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well - I can definitely help you with step one. I may even be able to get a couple of these lazy slugs to come help us.

What is your time frame to pull the engine? It's really pretty simple, and should take about half a day.

Let me know and we'll get it done!

Kelly

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would definitely take Kelly up on his offer. He really is a great guy!
Russ
missing the warm weather alot. Ohio sucks in winter if you don't have a heated garage. I have a whole new sympathy towards snowbirds now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou all for your replies and encouragement. I haven't checked this post in a few days and for some reason it is no longer sending me e-mail updates.
Anyhow Rimcrew to answer your question about time frame...I really don't have one. I just want to get the engine out in the next month or two and then pick everyones brain as to what the logical next steps should be. I am usually off from work on Tuesdays or Wed and most Saturdays. I would be at anyones mercy for day preference, as I do not have one. If anyone would like to email me I can be reached via [email protected]
Thankyou all for the warm welcome
-Eric

·
Registered
558 Posts
Alright folks, time to step it up. Eric and I will be pulling his engine/trans next Saturday - April 5th. We could use some help, so let's pitch in and help this fellow Mustanger out.

Hiker, I know you know what you are doing so we could use your help. The same goes for BB and Evil Twin.

Flattman - maybe you could bring the men some cool drings while we work?

Let me know who's available, and we will let you know the details.

TIA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry, dude, that's the same day as the Copperstate show.

By the way, it's EvilBrother, not Evil Twin.

But I think you had a good idea about Flattman getting the drinks for you guys!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Gosh, I'd love to but I'm going to be interviewing about 20 strippers for my buddy's topless bar.

Don't tell my wife though, she thinks I'm going to be at the Copperstate Mustang show at Berge.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Good luck trophy hog. Leave a few scraps for the other, less fortunate, Mustang owners...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts