Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Been a long time away from the forum. With selling & buying a home, moving, and all the associated crap, I've had to give what little time I had to higher priority items. But, I'm still alive & well and infrequently do try to catch up on VMF issues and topics. Hope all is well with everyone else.
With the hot weather, I finally decided to renovate and reactivate the A/C in stang. Removed the old condenser & dryer last night. It appears everything on the car is original except the receiver/dryer. I've more or less decided to go with R-134a due to simple economics and I'm replacing the discharge hose, metal liquid line, receiver/dryer, and condenser. Has anyone else recently retrofitted a vintage system with original compressor to 134a and has tips or advice to pass on? I've done retrofits before but I'd appreciate hearing from ya!
Happy Mustang-Motoring!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Haven't done it on my Stang yet, but plan to soon. I just completed this on my Tbird, and it worked out okay. Not as cold as I would like, but 48-50 deg is a far better cry than the 96 deg that is outside the car! :)

In the Tbird, I replaced the dryer, left everything else stock. I did flush and evacuate the system prior to adding POE (ester oil) and R134. Use only 70% of what the manual calls for in R12, and keep in mind that those small cans are NOT 1 pound cans -- also, you will likely lose 2 oz per can through leakage when connecting and disconnecting them. Mine ran like it had a low charge because I didn't notice that each can was 13oz, not 16. Figure in the loss of 2 oz per can, and I was almost a can short! Heard these tips on a radio talk show and sure enough they were right. Went home, added a can, and every thing's cool now.

Another tip, make sure you buy a manifold gauge, even if it's only the cheap, single gauge set (that's what I bought). Reading the hi and low pressure readings (alternatingly) tells you a lot about what is going on and what might be wrong with your system. $25 well spent...

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
I've done 11 conversions from R-12 to R-414B . It requires no oil changes no flushing of system and it is more efficient than R-134 ( cools better ) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts