Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a 66 Smog equipped Fastback, A/C, PAS and Smog. The smog pump rattles like a snake, Is there anyway to remove bits from inside to allow it to operated (and keep the belt on for the AC pump) but maybe stop it rattling? I guess it could be the bearing in which case thats not possible.

Cheers. Peter

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Might be able just to use a shorter belt that just skips the smog pump, and you can keep that rare part intact in case you can have it restored or someone else would like to buy it for a Concours restoration.

Reactions: ginpunk

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
I made an A/C vacuum pump using an electric motor, an old compressor and a smog pump for the belt tensioner. I did exactly what you ask about with the smog pump. This was 20 or 30 years ago so I don't recall exactly but I disassembled the pump, removed the carbon vanes and then put the pump back together.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, I am definitely not chucking it, as the pump is original to the car and its super original. I may have a dig around in the pump and see if its able to be adjusted to quiet it down. Myfirstcar66, I also will take a look if a shorter belt will clear it, thats a good idea. Cheers for the replies.

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Not a whole lot inside a smog pump. Some phenolic blades, springs and a bearing. Not a huge ordeal to rebuild if you can find the parts.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks and thanks for the exploded diagram

1 - 9 of 9 Posts