Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been lurking here for a few months but decided it’s time to get some opinions and questions answered so I better introduce myself. This is a great forum!!

Bought a 66 convertible this past March and have been tearing it down ever since. Nothing special about this car from a VIN standpoint.

Specs as purchased:
  • Original V6 “T” code but had a 302 motor, .030 over (did not know this at the time). Motor was in bad shape, never tried to start it.
  • Color = Q7 – Brittany Blue (a 1967 color used on some late 1966 models). Paint looks original to me
  • C4 transmission and 2.8:1 open rear diff
  • Trailer Hitch! (since removed as it was just….weird)
  • Date Built - 08V– 8/8/66, very WEIRD coincidence, my daughter’s birthday is 8/8/99. Must be destined for her! She said it was her “dream car” even before I had researched the build date.
  • Very minimal rust and a very straight body (the most attractive feature to me)
Fast forward 3 months and the front half of the car is down to bare metal, the interior stripped and the machine work done on the block.

Plans for my “driver” restoration: (with all work to be done by my 14 year old son and I except machine work, body and paint and probably the convertible top)

• .040 block with all new short block parts, still deciding on heads and other odds and ends
  • All new front suspension and new/rebuilt power steering
  • Front disc brake upgrade and new drum brakes in rear
  • Possibly new rear gears and posi
  • All new interior, convertible top, and re-wire entire car
  • Body and paint by a yet to be determined shop
  • A few other odds and ends I have not thought about yet…..
A fun project so far.:grin2:

Fresh off the tow truck

P

·
0 Posts
Looks solid. First, your car was an I6, not a V6. Secondly and probAbly more important to you . . . . install '69 seat platforms, slightly rearward if your height is a problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Learn something new every day. I wouldn't have guessed they'd still be making '66 cars that late in the year. Wonder why that was? Nice project though. :grin2:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Nice convertible!

Dearborn? There are some recorded as late as 12V (12th Aug '66) so this one sure is near the end of '66 production.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Hello, I have been lurking here for a few months but decided it’s time to get some opinions and questions answered so I better introduce myself. This is a great forum!!

Bought a 66 convertible this past March and have been tearing it down ever since. Nothing special about this car from a VIN standpoint.

Specs as purchased:
  • Original V6 “T” code but had a 302 motor, .030 over (did not know this at the time). Motor was in bad shape, never tried to start it.
  • Color = Q7 – Brittany Blue (a 1967 color used on some late 1966 models). Paint looks original to me
  • C4 transmission and 2.8:1 open rear diff
  • Trailer Hitch! (since removed as it was just….weird)
  • Date Built - 08V– 8/8/66, very WEIRD coincidence, my daughter’s birthday is 8/8/99. Must be destined for her! She said it was her “dream car” even before I had researched the build date.
  • Very minimal rust and a very straight body (the most attractive feature to me)
Fast forward 3 months and the front half of the car is down to bare metal, the interior stripped and the machine work done on the block.

Plans for my “driver” restoration: (with all work to be done by my 14 year old son and I except machine work, body and paint and probably the convertible top)

• .040 block with all new short block parts, still deciding on heads and other odds and ends
  • All new front suspension and new/rebuilt power steering
  • Front disc brake upgrade and new drum brakes in rear
  • Possibly new rear gears and posi
  • All new interior, convertible top, and re-wire entire car
  • Body and paint by a yet to be determined shop
  • A few other odds and ends I have not thought about yet…..
A fun project so far.:grin2:

Fresh off the tow truck

If that's you in the picture, how many years until you get your license? :grin2: Man the years are flying by! Congrats and welcome to the forum!!

Allen

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks solid. First, your car was an I6, not a V6. Secondly and probAbly more important to you . . . . install '69 seat platforms, slightly rearward if your height is a problem.
Ah yes, I6 of course, my brain thinks in "V"s. And thanks for the tip on the seat pan. Will have to check that out as I am 6'6" tall!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that's you in the picture, how many years until you get your license? :grin2: Man the years are flying by! Congrats and welcome to the forum!!

Allen

Thanks Allen. My boy is 14 and I am trying to only have him help with the "fun" stuff to try to get him really into this hobby (or at least be able to change a tire, his oil, and maybe swap out an engine!). With all the other distractions like iPhones, year round competitive sports, and even worse online gaming, I think this is a dying hobby. Really too bad.....

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
My son bought his first Mustang (66) when he was 14 and fixed it up to drive to high school. Took him 2 years and he still has it (he's 35). BTW, welcome from the Bay Area.
Stan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice solid car to start with. V8 suspension already installed too. Somebody did a nice job of the V8 conversion for you by not leaving the six cylinder suspension.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son bought his first Mustang (66) when he was 14 and fixed it up to drive to high school. Took him 2 years and he still has it (he's 35). BTW, welcome from the Bay Area.
Stan
Thanks for the welcome! Not many kids driving around classics anymore. But I guess that makes sense as they were not so much classics back then!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice solid car to start with. V8 suspension already installed too. Somebody did a nice job of the V8 conversion for you by not leaving the six cylinder suspension.
Yes, I knew the car was a convert when I bought it based on VIN but did not yet know about the suspension differences until after and was sure happy to see it there. They also changed out the rear axles to 5 lug. Maybe that is standard so you don't have 2 wheels with 4 and 2 with 5 lugs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts