Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't see a welcome or intro forum so I thought I'd make my first post here. Well, thanks to my brother in England putting ideas in my head I have gone from having no Mustangs to two in the space of two weeks. Both ebay buys - one very happy with and one not so. They are:

1967 Coupe - originally a 6 cylinder but now a "drag car" - 390 engine with unknown modifications, rebuilt C6, 4.56 Posi 9" rear and obligatory big fat wheels and primer paintwork.

1966 Coupe - originally a 289 V8 but now a 6 cylinder. Restored a few years ago but a bit neglected by last owner so it has a few electrical/minor trim issues.

The 67 has been nothing but problems -so far I've had to fit a new fuel pump and carb to get it running properly. It then blew the radiator
(literally) so I'm now waiting on a new rad to get it running so I can put it back on ebay.

If it doesn't sell then I may keep all the V8 stuff, the drivetrain and transmission and rebuild a stock-ish 289. Which leads me to my question about the 390 - is there a market for these engines? I've looked on ebay and classifieds and I've only seen one sell recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
If its IN the Mustang it most likely a (GT)390, which IS desirable, and way different then a "390"

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
If its IN the Mustang it most likely a (GT)390, which IS desirable, and way different then a "390"
But he mentioned that it was an I6 car and someone installed the 390.
It's really hard to tell what it is worth until you know which model of the 390 you have. Could be just a tricked out truck motor. Mainly the heads are the big selling point. As ponies mentioned, if you have the GT heads, could be worth more, but I'm not up on my FE trivia.
I've got a 390 truck engine in the corner of my garage (short block) just because I could not bear to see it go into the shredder at the scrap yard. I tossed the smog truck heads and 2bbl intake for storage issues.
I keep telling my wife it is the start of my '69 Shelby GT500 convertible clone. :loco: yea, I'm nuts.....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Which leads me to my question about the 390 - is there a market for these engines? I've looked on ebay and classifieds and I've only seen one sell recently.[/quote]

There is a market for a 390 if it's the right one for a Mustang application. where do you live?

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Which leads me to my question about the 390 - is there a market for these engines? I've looked on ebay and classifieds and I've only seen one sell recently.
There is a market for a 390 if it's the right one for a Mustang application. where do you live?[/quote]
The lack of listings is due to the engine being very rare, not undesirable. In the past few years I've worked with a couple people who needed a 390GT for S code cars that lacked the original 390GT engine, and I had to call all over the place just to find the components to put them together. Finding a complete 390GT engine would have been preferable, but just didn't happen.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hello and welcome,
I'd say if you just got the 67 and you're not in love with it plus it has given you nothing but greif,it was a 6 cylinder car and it needs a full restoration. I'd cut my losses and sell it before you get too deep into it. Ask anyone around here these cars (I love these cars to death) can become money pits(more like black holes) real quick .I saw that car on ebay, I was a bit turned off by the what appeared to be the aluminum flashing floor pans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the heads on the 67 have a casting number that begins D2 (1972 truck?) but I haven't checked the engine code yet.

@66HPGT - it was this one -

Ford : Mustang on eBay (end time 08-Mar-11 18:28:03 GMT)

Definitely going to keep the 66 although having played it with this morning I now have a long to do list -

replace heater core
replace heater fan motor (once I get it off the fan!)
replace wiper motor
fix parking brake
find out why gauge lights stay on (with keys out and light switch off)
change door locks (no key)

Oh, and the cowl hats are on their way out - still intact but rusted through in some spots. Looks like I may have to go the way of the plastic "repair" hats as a temp fix although the car won't ever see rain again.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well, the heads on the 67 have a casting number that begins D2 (1972 truck?) but I haven't checked the engine code yet.

Definitely going to keep the 66 although having played it with this morning I now have a long to do list -

replace heater core
replace wiper motor
fix parking brake

Oh, and the cowl hats are on their way out - still intact but rusted through in some spots. Looks like I may have to go the way of the plastic "repair" hats as a temp fix although the car won't ever see rain again.
Welcome to Mustang ownership. :D I've found I have a love/hate relationship with my car. I've got something in the neighborhood of $6k invested (on top of the $3k purchase price) and the car still doesn't look any different. :D But I certainly would never think of selling it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I Like the '67....to me this car has the good start to a great full blown 460 double shot conversion....it could be one heck of a street warrior....even though my "warring" days are over, at least I could scare my wife...:)

·
Registered
810 Posts

replace heater core
replace wiper motor
fix parking brake

Hey I see we're both New Yorkers. I'll PM maybe we're local? I can offer tons of advice . I also have alot of parts, espeically all of the parts that you need for your 66.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I see we're both New Yorkers. I'll PM maybe we're local? I can offer tons of advice . I also have alot of parts, espeically all of the parts that you need for your 66.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

Those are truck heads. Practically no value. If the headers are in decent shape they may be worth $100 or so. What is the part number on the intake? If it is the truck or passenger car intake then it is worth scrap prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts