Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
14 inch wheels? Go with a 205-70-14 and enjoy.

Reactions: bnvdschino

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,570 Posts
Welcome to VMF. I have Cooper Cobra GT Radials on my 69 Coupe. 215/70R-14's in the front & 225/70R-14's in the rear with the ?RWL facing out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome and recommendations. I will read reviews about these tires to find out more about them.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
When I bought my first '67 coupe..it came with some Dunlop GTs, For as long as I had the car I never had to change them. That certainly doesn't make them "the best" it just made them durable and servicable for what was probably close to 10 years. Its like asking the question...what is the best color? The answer is going to vary depending on the person and what they need out of a tire. I personally see little reason to run a sticky tire that is going to wear out fast if you aren't at the track all the time.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
What is the date code on the Pirellis? Unless they are several years old, I would just keep them. They are likely better than many of the tires you might replace them with.

If you are not stuck on white letter I would just look for some decent black wall tires which will perform better. The General Kumho and Hankook offerings at TireRack or Discount will be better tires than the Radial TA and maybe even the Cooper Cobra. If you want white letter look at Cooper Cobra and avoid BFG TA.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
When I bought my first '67 coupe..it came with some Dunlop GTs, For as long as I had the car I never had to change them. That certainly doesn't make them "the best" it just made them durable and servicable for what was probably close to 10 years. Its like asking the question...what is the best color? The answer is going to vary depending on the person and what they need out of a tire. I personally see little reason to run a sticky tire that is going to wear out fast if you aren't at the track all the time.
I remember those Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Friend had them on a Maverick and another had them on a 68 Camaro. They were pretty decent. I am partially in agreement with you. A super sticky summer track type tire that wears fast would not be my preference for a street car either, but I think you still need to have a relatively sticky tire otherwise they just slide around like hockey pucks. I had some Pep Boys $99 set house special tires like that many years ago on a fox body and didn't keep them long before getting some Michelin Plus which I wish they still made now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts