Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

I just joined this forum but certainly not new to mustangs

It started 53 years ago when my very cool Mother drove a 65 FB 2+2 with me in the back as an infant
22 years later I bought my first mustang. 1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Took a break from Mustangs for a while to raise children and then eased back into it about 10 years ago with a modified 95 GT
The classics always called to me so when the S197 model came out I had to have one as they reminded me of my 69. Currently own a heavily modified and boosted 2006 GT

The classics kept calling to me. Last weekend I bought a very clean 66 C code coupe with factory AC

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/images/Vintage-Mustang_2015/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,497 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you have some good taste. I too love the S197's and had a blown 05 for a while that was a ton of fun. However, when it came time to sell one of the Mustangs, the classic was the easy winner/keeper.

Your 66 looks super clean. I'm not sure what I would do with something that didn't need to be fixed and hot rodded.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Welcome to VMF. I would be interested to see pictures of your factory AC. Especially the punch holes. I am pretty sure I have a dealer AC, but would like to compare with your pictures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all

The plan for the car is pretty simple.
Short term
Disc brake conversion
Upgraded power steering
Wheels and tires
Get the AC working

Drive it!

Longer term
Add some old school HP
Mild suspension improvements

·
Dimples
3,497 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan.

IMO, nothing has a bigger impact on driving enjoyment than a happy front suspension. There are a few high quality upgrades you can make in that area that don't have to cost a ton of money, and have a super-high smiles per gallon quotient.

What wheels are you leaning toward?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Welcome to VMF! Great looking 66 and that plan does sound good. Driving it will tell you where you need to focus attention for your tastes.

Great username, btw! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a solid plan.

IMO, nothing has a bigger impact on driving enjoyment than a happy front suspension. There are a few high quality upgrades you can make in that area that don't have to cost a ton of money, and have a super-high smiles per gallon quotient.

What wheels are you leaning toward?
Thinking maybe 15" Torque Thrust 2 with gloss black spokes.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome. You almost sound like you are living the dream. Nice starter car, sensible mods that should make it a blast to drive, and you appear to have good common sense. I look forward to seeing what you do and how it works out for you. This place has everything from the mild to the wild and every side branch you can think of. I think your plan ranks right near the top in my book. When I was 16 I had a poppy red K-code coupe that I drove the ever-loving wheels off of. Not sure I can ever capture that feeling again, but like you I'm going to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts