Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO SPARK
I just recently got a 1968 mustang coupe. It has the 289 v8. Car was running qhen i got it. I removed the points distributor to install a hei distributor. Now i can not figure out why i have no spark. The spark plug and wires are brand new. It has a new starter solenoid new battery. Ive installed 2 different hei distributors and still have no spark. The first distributor i installed the pick up coil was bad. I installed another distributor still no change. Ive gone through and tested the ignition module and even swapped the coil to verify its not those. Please help im at a complete loss. I do have the distributor hooked up via the relay method. Any and all help would be much appreciated thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

When you say "hei distributor" do you mean an electronic ignition distributor in general or do you specifically mean one of those huge ugly abominations with a GM module and a built-in coil?

If the points style distributor was working why get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Welcome.

Pics of your setup would be helpful.

+1 on clarification on thebtype of distributor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
If the OP is run a huge ugly abominations with a GM module and a built-in coil, make sure the coil wire doesn't have a resistor inline, it needs a full 12V input. I run one of hose units, but it's Ford Blue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
HEI No Spark

Make sure you run a fused relay so a full 12V is available.
Also make sure you have 12V to the relay during cranking. On your starter solenoid you have push on connectors. S is starter I is for the coil so you get a full 12V during cranking. Make sure that is connected to the relay input.

Go online & check the ohms on the coil, pickup coil & install another module.
Thats it, the HEI is very simple to diagnosis.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
By, HEI, if you mean the GM-Style "coil-in-cap" deal, run a jumper from the battery + to the distributor. If you don't have spark then either the lead from the side of the cap to the coil is broken, the pick-up or module or internal wiring is bad, or the distributor is improperly grounded (poor or no ground).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts