Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 73 mach is being shipped to my house, the 69 mach has problems where windows won't go up anymore and I pulled (pushed) out the 65 fastback and got discouraged. If I don't have a lot of cash to have it done or know how to do it myself, what are some things I could get started on to show progress? I even thought about selling the 65 since I haven't done anything to it and don't know where to start.

·
Registered
936 Posts
On the bright side, you've got all the time in the world to get it done. It's way too early to quit now. If nothing else, go over your favorite car and make a list of what needs to be done. Prioritize your list from most important to least important, and concentrate on one item a time. One item at a time from most important to least important (for example, get the car running as opposed to cosmetic issues) will allow you to see some progress and make you feel good about your project. Best of luck and spend some time in this forum. P.S. I am a beginner also, and have all the faith in the world in getting what I need to complete my project (65 Fastback) from this forum. Marshall in Madison

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just imagine the finished project. Get a picture of it in your head and don't forget about it. The finished product will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
On my most recent project, I have a list of what I want to do (big items) and am starting at the very front (radiator cradle/apron/crossmember) with replacing parts. Next comes some patches to the firewall and rear apron (some nimrod cut extra holes), the the cowl, then doors/floors/tunnel, then quarters/outer rocker patches, then trunk/taillight areas. Then suspension, then paint, then engine/transmission, then Interior.

I have cheated, hanging replacement doors and deck lid, just to keep them off the floor, but I'm ready to start in earnest on the front (in the fall).

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Why would you have bought three cars when you don't have enough cash to finish even one of them?? Sell one to finance the cost of making your favorite the way you want it. If a non working roll up window is enough to make you throw in the towel, perhaps you should sell all three and buy one very nice completed car in your favorite style. Some people were just not meant to have project cars. Perhaps you fit into that category. This is not a bad thing, your are just the type that needs to be behind the wheel of a completed car rather than under the gun to finish a restoration. If you decide to sell one of more please let me know.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Cure: you need a running Mustang that you can enjoy - not just a bunch of project cars. Get yourself a 65/66 six cylinder and drive it everywhere. They're still pretty inexpensive and the thumbs-up you'll get will inspire you to work on your projects! ;)

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sell either two or three of these cars.

If you sell two put the time and money into the third one to get it running and in a presentable condition.

If you sell three put the money into getting a good fourth one that you can enjoy.

John Harvey

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
The 73 mach is being shipped to my house, the 69 mach has problems where windows won't go up anymore and I pulled (pushed) out the 65 fastback and got discouraged
You need to take a calmer approach to things and don't get all discouraged.

If the 65 is lost to you, then sell it. A 65 fastback should bring some decent money in just about any condition, money that would be better utilized in repairing wither or both of the other two.

The window problem on the 69 is probably the glue in glass. Find youself a set of 70 bolt in glass and fix it permanantly. This is a very simple procedure and if you cannot or will not fix this problem, then I suggest you re-evaluate your entire situation.

Some people were just not meant to have project cars
That is a very true statement. I have a friend who loves cars, but is absolutely useless when it comes to figuring out anything harder than microwaving his pizza. His wife had to set his new watch for him last week... ::

Perhaps you fit into that category. This is not a bad thing, your are just the type that needs to be behind the wheel of a completed car
I wish my friend would accept this fact. He buys a car that is nice and because it's not the fastest among our friends, he starts tossing money at it to make it that way. Problem is, he's useless when it comes to anything mechanical and he has to ask me for help to do the project. Unfortunately "help" in his book is supplying me with the parts (almost all, except if it's not shiny or expensive) and the car, then dropping it at my garage and standing around BSing while I work on HIS project car. I've been through this with two cars with him. The last one didn't even get driven because I sent it down the road with a minor tranny line leak and the fuel line to the carb needed to be re-routed. An hours wourth of work, but it was his problem, heck, he could have sent it to a garage to have that done. He then proceeded to sell it and couldn't figure out why I was a bit pi$$ed. He's starting the same situation with his latest acquisition, but I'll wait until he blows his wad on parts before I give him the bad news that "Hemikiller's Free Labor Hot Rod Shop" is closed for good... ::

Seriously, think about what you want and what you need to get there. You cannot have your cake and eat it too in this hobby.

Restoration is alot of work, are you willing?

If not, take the money and buy a driver....

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's easy enough to get discouraged with one project. With 3, getting discouraged is guaranteed. Follow the advice of the others. Get rid of at least one of them, and concentrate on just one, otherwise, you'll never have any of them done, you'll suffer burn out, and end up getting rid of all of them, probably taking a financial soaking in the process.

I have 4 Mustangs at my house, 3 of them daily drivers. It's all I can do to keep the 3 on the road, leaving very little time for the 4th. I get discouraged at the slow progress of my '69 and I've been working on these cars for 20 years. I can't imagine how over whelmed someone would get that is less familiar with these cars, working on three projects!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Some people were just not meant to have project cars
That is a very true statement. I have a friend who loves cars, but is absolutely useless when it comes to figuring out anything harder than microwaving his pizza. His wife had to set his new watch for him last week... ::

Perhaps you fit into that category. This is not a bad thing, your are just the type that needs to be behind the wheel of a completed car

Seriously, think about what you want and what you need to get there. You cannot have your cake and eat it too in this hobby.

Restoration is alot of work, are you willing?

If not, take the money and buy a driver....
AMEN!!!!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Its hard with 3 of them. What I do is enjoy the 68 Fastback and work on the other 2. I skip between cars and different kind of projects. If you get to frustrated take a break and return to them when you feel your ready. They are bought and paid for so its not like your loosing anything. My 68 fastbak has taken me 18 years now and counting. The other 2 I got this year and I spend time in the garage as I can. Having 2 young kids its hard sometimes but its like a nice little get away to hide and do some things that you like. Stress releaf? Sometimes.
Just take your time and try to enjoy it. Pick one car if you can to get finished first so you can enjoy driving it around as you work on the others.

Just my 2 cents ::

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Messing with even one 30-some year old car is a rough neighborhood. Occasionally you get mugged. I can't imagine with three!!! Ditch two to concentrate time/resources on the third, or ditch all three for a clean driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts