Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an idea.
I've been lurking here for a while, and have only posted enough to say hello so far.
My story is, I'm a newbie to cars in the last couple of years, but have been reading a lot of books and trying to help a friend do some resto work on his 71 mach 1. I'm hoping that by next summer, I will have a good enough knowledge base to be confident taking on my own restoration. That, and I hope by then I can actually afford to do it too (hope mortgage rates go back down again ::)

So, what I'd like to do, is play a pro/con on my future car, and hopefully learn a lot in the process.
Here's the rules:
1. We are building a 69/70 mach 1.
2. The car must be able to LOOK original, but does not necessarily have to BE original. I.e. a nice cd player that fits the stock space or a fancy aftermarket carb.
3. You must provide some reason for what you chose. How else am I supposed to understand why you picked it? :p

So, with the rules being laid down, let's get started.

Pick a short block for the 69/70 mach 1.

My goal here is to learn, so you may notice a few jargon flub ups and probably some points I just don't understand, so please feel free to correct me... but be nice: ::

Let the debate begin!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
This is a hard game to play without a budget. If the budget is unlimited, get one that's already done ... you'll be thousands of $ ahead in the end.

Here's a couple points about '69/'70's that you may or may not be aware of:

Basically, there's NO easy way to put a decent stereo in them without modifications to the car. Second, EXTREMELY litle is reproduced. For example, watch e-hay for any fold down seat or interior parts. My '69 sportsroof was missing everything behind the seat and one of the fiberglass interior 1/4 panels was broken. I'll have spent well over $1000 for just the back seat alone when I'm done.

The engine choices are almost unlimited in a Mach I. Again, the budget comes into play. My friend's '69 Red 428CJ Mach takes 1st place at virtually every show he gows to, but try to find one for anything like a decent price. With an unlimited budget, I'd be looking for his car's twin ::

·
Registered
309 Posts
1) Start with a 351W (69) or 351C (70)(small enough to work on, parts ~ cheap, still can make gobs of power)
2) Update suspension to polyurethane (relatively cheap and significantly improves handling)
3) Upadate steering to Rack & Pinion (to solve the other notorious Mustang issue)
4) Install disc brakes (stopping is good)

That should set you back 6 months and a few grand ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Street/strip I would say. Nothing too mild of course, but I don't need anything outrageous either.

Lol, this sounds like a midlife crisis and I'm only 25 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts