Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me apologize for my lack of mechanics terms for some of the parts.
My Alternator belt as been squeaky for a while so I decided to adjust it. I attempted to loosen the "tension" bolt when it snapped off. OK, great now I need to take the alternator out and drill out the bolt. I attempted to loosen the "mounting" bolt and finally with a pipe extension to my ratchet it started to turn. I unscrewed it from the engine however the bolt will not come out of the "sleeve" on the alternator. Since there is a mounting bracket on the other side of the alternator I cannot get the alternator out with the bolt still in place. :: I tried some penetrating oil to loosen it up with no success it just turns and turns but doesn't go anywhere. Does anyone know any tricks on how to get the bolt out of the sleeve on the alternator?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If Im understanding you correctly, why not remove the alternator bracket/sleeve/bolt/alternator together so they can be worked on out of the car?

If possible, it would allow the bolt to be gently tapped out of the sleeve.

PB blaster is a good rust penetrator....oxisolv even better (obliterates rust, but expensive)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Turn the bolt until the groove in the sleeve/spacer/thingy is pointing upward. After you soak with penetrating oil for a couple of days, insert a large screwdriver in the groove, and with a wrench on the bolt, try and hold the sleeve stationary while you turn the bolt.

Once you break the bolt free from the spacer, you should be able to remove the bolt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts