Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my dad and I got a start on building my 302 yesterday at last. Here is the question. I used the original crank out of the motor. It is a 1970 motor. The motor had 92,000 miles on it when pulled. I just had the crank polished and was planning on using std bearings. We put the crank in and plastigauged every main. The front one was right around .002 and the 3 center mains were around .002-.0025 The rear main was at around .003 I am running a high volume melling oil pump with a hardened oil pump drive shaft. Are these clearances tight enough for a new motor? The motor will see 6300 rpm occasionally. I am using clevite 77 bearings. Are they a good street/strip bearing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brandon. Oh ya, hopefully we will be able to get a could of pistons in tonight so I should be able to get connecting rod bearing clearances to!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Well, actually you would order UNdersized bearings. But .002 - .003 clear is fine.......One other thing we do is mix and match under/oversized bearings. You can just use a half of a shell from each set.

Gary......::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts