Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I think I have found a '70 Boss 302, right here in The Southern tip of Africa!!

I have not got the VIN yet... but I want to be prepared and 'armed' with a list of checks to do on the car.

Will you help me?

Here is the info I have:

- Yellow
- Hurst Shifter
- Rear Spoiler and Slats
- 9 inch rear
- Original engine

I know about the 'G' in the VIN number... but what else should I check to ensure it is authentic? How do I confirm the originality of the motor?

I have also read that restoring a BOSS is an expensive exercise... what missing parts should I look out for that are hard to find?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-r-

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That's a question that requires a really long answer.
Some key points, however:
VIN should be on top of aprons as well as on the door tag and windshield tag. Also compare with the buck tag (radiator support of a Dearborn car, 0F02G..., passenger side apron towards firewall if Metuchen, 0T02G...)
The engine should have the last six digits of the VIN number on a pad at the top rear of the engine. Take an inspection mirror, as you can't get your head back there to look behind the intake otherwise.
Should have staggered shocks on the rear.
Shock towers should have correct bracing.
Rear end should be an "N" case (weird "N" cast in above nose on case.)
Rare parts: Distributor (C9ZF-12127-E), Carb (Holley 4653, D0ZF-9510-A/B), Rev limiter, exhaust manifolds, air cleaner base, especially if a shaker, etc.

Start with the VIN. You can also read and post questions on the Boss 302 registry (www.bos302.com).

Carl

·
Registered
578 Posts
BOSS block will have screw in freeze plugs. Block also have 4 bolt mains on numbers 2, 3, and 4. BOSS heads have 8 valve cover screw holes where as regular 302 heads have only 6. BOSS block for 1970 was D0ZE-6015 a,b or C. Service block is D1ZE. Number can be found on bottom of block underneath the starter. Vin number is also stamped on the top of the transmission casing at the front end (at least it's on mine).

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
And a boss will have rolled fender well lips....

as well as a 4 speed top loader. look for screw in freeze plugs
if a drag pack look for horns to be mounted on the passeneger side, an engine oil cooler on the driver side of the radiator support, and an oil cooler adapter on te block (where the oil filter normally goes.

aside from the previous posts there is not much else to differentiate a boss 302 from other fastbacks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts