Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the steering wheel off and the steering box unbolted from the frame. The column is unbolted from the dash. Is there anything else holding them together? The shaft will not budge from the column.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There is a rubber bushing at the bottom of the tube and a bearing at the top of the tube. Do you get any movement at all?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bearing at the top of the column is completely loose. The bottom will not move at all.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I'm assuming this is a '66? The rubber bushing at the end of the column tube which stuck on the end of the steering box can be really stuck on.
One of my '65's was really stuck on since the mixture of age, grease, heat, and brake fluid literally melted the bushing onto the steel. I had to really pull on the tube with all my miniscue strength to pull the column off the steering box.

Have you tried rotating the column around the steering box? Use your hands only, anything else, like a chain wrench will really mess up the tube.

Hope you succeed,

Dean T

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That did it. Thanks for the help, guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts