Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving home from work in my 73 Mach 1, just cruising a normal speed in the city, when all of a sudden the car lost all it's power and then backfired and died. It hasn't started again since. It happened right in front of a Ford dealership so we pushed it in there to check it out. When it cranks over, the tach doesn't move at all and we get one spark when I turn the key and that's it. I have a full MSD ignition so I did the test on the 6AL and it seems to work fine. I tried another coil but it didn't help. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's the magnetic pickup in the distributor but I just replaced that about 3 months ago so I wouldn't think it would have died already. It's my daily driver so I have to get it going as soon as possible. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm assuming you checked the connection between the dizzy and the 6A (for that matter all the ignition wiring)

OK, I'm guessing.....gonna use my knowledge of duraspark dizzys....principles are the same

the dist mag pickup SHOULD read a couple hundred ohms between the wires and no reading between either wire and ground (if theres just 2 wires) and with the dizzy connected to the meter set on ac volts the needle SHOULD wiggle

I'd also ensure a good connection of the meter leads while checking the ohms (resistance) and then move the dizzy wires around to check for an intermittent connection/broken wire.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
My car did the same thing two weeks ago. I sheared the roll pin that holds the distributor gear on. Line up your timing marks and see if the rotor points at no.1.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I found out today that's exactly what happened. Thanks for everyone's help. Now I gotta get it fixed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts