Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today, i got in the mail my new valve covers, all shinny aluminum, they looked good. i go to take off my old valve covers and as soon as i got them off i see green coolant in there.

i have recently noticed that i have been leaking some coolant from places and have been trying to figure it out but have not found the leak yet. i think it is coming from my timing chain cover or my water pump. i did a cam swap about 3 months ago. could this be a leak from my timing chain cover into the pan?

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
could also be an intake gasket. as a kid a bought a used aluminum intake and put it on with the BLUE felpro intake gaskets. shortly after the engine was running warm. i put water in it. ran warm again. another friend pulled the dipsick and it looked like elmers glue. i went to the local Racing Head Service shop and thats when i was learned that you dont use BLUE intake gaskets with the aluminum intake. they sold me a set of PRINT-O-SEAL intake gaskets and no more water in the oil. the heads and intake flexed enough to allow collant to seep between the area at the bottom of the water passage and the lifter valley. it could also be a leak between the timing cover water passage gasket and the block allowing collant to leak into the area behind the timimg cover and down into the oil pan. theres no way for a leaking water pump to put collant in the oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for replying, if i recall i did use those skinny blue intake manifold gaskets and i do have an aluminum intake. i figured it wasnt the water pump, but i think i will check the intake manifold and then replace those, and flush everything out and put in new oil. then see if it does it again and then see if it is a head gasket. would i be able to tell that it is the intake manifold and not anything else? also how do i get the coolant out of all the oil passages?

·
Registered
317 Posts
ok is the oil milkly looking? or are you seeing pure coolant? could be coolant is coming in around a head bolt have seen this on chevy before. try a pressure check with valve covers off . good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im seeing pure coolant. if it is coming around a head bolt, is that just replacing the gasket?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the dipstick oil is kind of a brown, its pretty fresh oil tho. but i'll drain a little and check down in the pan.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Had a similar problem with intake gaskets. Water was running into the valley and into oil pan. Used a Edlebrock intake gasket to match my Edlebrock Performer 289 intake and used the procedures on this website that demonstrates installing an aluminum intake.

hinge

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Intake gaskets, head gaskets, front cover gaskets.

·
Registered
317 Posts
head bolts go into coolant jackets on some engines. if you don't want to change head gasket,take head bolt out one at time and coat with a thread sealant and retourqe.if it was a head gasket ,oil would be milkly or your leak would be exneral

1 - 12 of 12 Posts