Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all - I am ready to cut the hole in my 66 hood to make the hood scoop functional on my 66 shelby clone. Can someone describe and shape and dimensions of the hole I need to cut please? Thanks in advance.
Jay

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Jay, not all 66 Shelby hoods are made alike.

On the fiberglass hoods (at least my 'verts which is an original), there was no hole to cut and no lip around the scoop area other than the a lip which extended in from the front of the scoop about 2 inches. '65 fiberglass hoods had a approx. 10 inch round opening roughly centered above the carburator.

On the steel hoods (which 6S296 has), I've found two types of openings, large and small. The large opening resembled a rounded shape of a house, five sided, peak toward the rear of the hood. The opening started about 2 inches behind the opening of the scoop. The sides of the cut-out were about an inch away from the scoop and ran back to the underframe's diagonal stringers. There, the cut-out stayed about an inch away and followed the stringers to the back where the two sides met in a curve, rather than a point (as would a drawing of a house). The smaller cut-outs on steel hoods were round, similar to '65 hoods, but larger. I've also observed a in-between opening on one car. It was a rounded square, roughly as wide as the house-shaped opening, but not near as long--roughly square. The owner of that car made the comment, "Ahhh, thay all came out with small openings and owner's cut them larger", which leads me to believe his opeing may have been altered from it's as-delivered shape. I strongly disagree with his comment that they were all small openings when delivered after closely looking at dozens of cars with steel hoods and their tell-tale manufacturing marks.

BOTTOM LINE (finally)- you have the freedom to cut your hood opeing any way that seems prudent to you and it'll be about as correct as any other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts