Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since my last post , i took the edlebrock back to autozone and swapped it out for an equivalent Holley... it is still doing the same thing as listed in problems below except the holley choke appears to be working, but it contiues to die unless i work the accelerator.... what are the odds that i would hit another carb with the float out of adjustment and would you take the Holley back and swap it out? i looked down in the carb after it died and it does look wet with gas...

Here is the setup:

289, new edlebrock 2121 intake, new Holley 600cfm carb(electric choke), new coil, new condensor, new points, new plug wire, new plugs, new fuel pump with the huge filter bowl.

problem1: when cold - it won't stay running without a lot of pumping on the accelerator.

problem2: at idle(when warmed up), it will start and run fine for approx. 45 seconds, then it dies if i don't start feeding it a lot of gas.....if it dies, it acts like it is flooded - big puff of smoke once it starts...

all help/advice will be greatly appreciated..

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by rcpr on 03/12/01 12:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a Massive Vacuum Leak.
Maybe the manifold gasket slipped and exposed an intake port when you were installing it.

Greg B

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i think the choke is working ok.... the other post suggested a vacumn leak - maybe the intake gasket. is there any way to tell without pulling the intake off?

66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any way to diagnois without pulling the intake off?

66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the motor running you can spray carb cleaner along the mating surface btwn the manifold and head to see if the engine speed changes. You can also pour water along the mating surface to see if it gets sucked into the motor.
But these will not tell you if you have the bottom of the port exposed to the lifter galley. Which is my guess as to the problem

Greg B

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You can also use starting fluid, or propane to test for leaks.....Check the easy stuff first... Make sure all ports on the carb are plugged and make sure the vacuum lines are in good shape and snugg against their connections.

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Probably not it but check the gap on your points. Mine ran like crap and stalled a lot unitl I found out my points weren't gapped correctly.

J. Boggs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts