Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently aquired a motorcycle. It hasn't been registered since 1995. I called DMV today to see what the status was on my new title and what my registrations fees are. Holy crap, $224 from past non registration, plus new title fee, plus taxes! I asked them why the $224 fee. They said since it hasn't been registered since 95, I need to pay them for all the years it wasn't registered. I had a few choice words about that, but I will leave them to your imagination.

So what can I do? Anything? I only paid $300 for the bike, and it wasn't even running when I got it. Is there anything I can do besides paying the back registrations? I hate DMV.....

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Cut the tags off another bike and put them on yours? ::

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Why should you have to pay since you did not own it for the "missing years"?

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I got the Boss, it hadn't been registered since '91. I was afraid of the same thing, but the guy at the Tag Office said they only "have" to charge for 2 years worth of fines...I think I paid $20 something to get it up-to-date.
I think Tag Offices can do what they want...I would at least question it. I know in Oklahoma, when you receive the notice that your tags are due, there is an option to pay an extra dollar and mail it in. When I went in person to pay for mine, the agent charges me for the extra dollar....when I questioned it, she said it was their "option" to charge it or not. I took my paperwork and went to another office in a neigboring town...no extra charge!
Guess that's my rant for the day.
Rich

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what my thinking is! I don't have to pay for his parking tickets that he got, why should I have to pay for his old registration??!?!

I even checked with my insurance company, AAA, and they couldn't do anything for me. Arg, the DMV is really making me mad.....

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Dave. Here in the People's Republic of California where you and I are both inmates, the attitude of the DMV is that somebody is going to have to pay what is owed the state on the bike and they don't care if it's fair or not. Besides, these kinds of issues take them away from their profitable side business of selling driver's licenses to illegal aliens. Anyway, I believe that you are, as we say here in the Golden State, screwed. Since you only paid $300 for the bike, I doubt the P.O. will cough up the $224 for the back registration, so, if you want to ride it on the roads you'll have to pay the state bureaucracy their pound of flesh. Besides, with a $38.5 billion deficit I don't think they'll be cutting any deals unless, of course, you're willing to cop to being an oppressed minority or can document the fact that you are in this country illegally. ::

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
get a friend to register it in another state for you and then re-register in CA in a couple of months.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well put and creative RagTop! I second that....

Although here in Texas all you have to do is "swear" that you haven't driven the vehicle during the time that the registration is out of date. My '67 hadn't been registered since '92, and they were only going to charge me for current registration.

They even took it one step further. They realized it was a classic, and the girl working with me asked if I would be driving it soon or was I restoring it. It won't be street ready for a couple of years, I told her, and she recommended a get a "Title Only". I didn't have to pay registration fees until I want plates to drive it on the street!

You should see if California has something like that!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have some Bad News via the Cal DMV website:
California DMV

If the bike wasn't being used, the DMV required that you register it as not being used.
Way down at the bottom of the page it states that the new owner is responsible for all past reg fees not paid.
:(
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Dave,

when purchasing any vehicle the pink slip is signed and it releases the previous owner from any liabilities from that said vehicle...including parking tickets, unpaid reg fees, etc, etc....

as a prospective buyer, it is up to you to ask and research the history of the vehicle....

CA DMV wants their money regardless who owns what....My 280z was $76 for reg.....I just put it non op and they wanted $123!!!!! for renewal of reg!!! I am glad it is going into storage!!! I am also putting the GSXR into storage non op.....tired of these bureaucrats who think they can slap us across the face and get away with it.

Main reason for fee hikes is CHP needed funding.....now they are going to lay off quite a few of them....is it good? bad? who knows....

These people didn't get the job by being smart that is for sure.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,496 Posts
As far as back fees, IIRC they could only go back 3 years or so...statute of limitations...not all the way back to 95. IF the bike was truly not registered or properly non-op'd DMV may have no records on the bike as they purge files after 3-4 years. If that's the case, you may have other options such as get rid of the old plate and pink slip and get a bill of sale from the seller and treat the registration as a "new" registration and pay only current fees. The other option is to consider registering it out of state first as suggested by someone else and then bring it back as an out of state registration...somewhat of a hassle but it will likely save you some $$$. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am so glad I don't live in California. Sounds like the DMV is taking everyone for a ride. Here in Pennsylvania you only have to pay for the year you are getting registered for. Then they have Antique and Classic plates that you never have to register again. Pay $100 for the Antique or Classic Plates and that is it for as long as you own the car. Also, with Antique you don't need yearly inspections or emissions. With Classic plates you only need inspections.

On the other hand you have to deal with crappy weather half the year but that just may be worth it.

Good luck trying to fight the DMV.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I tell you you what ever happened to our rights.

So the govt. wants to tax you on a vehicle you did not even own for all those years and probably was not even driven.

I had a similar issue in Michigan many years ago with a camper trailer we purchased from my wifes parents.

We did not transfer the registration soon enough after we aquired the vehicle and they socked it to us.

Don't they take enough of our money.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Dave, how soon will you be looking to use the bike? The CA DMV keeps records going back 10 years. Since it hasn't been registered since '95, it should "fall out of the system" in 2 more years, and you'll have to pay no back registrations ... unless you've already filed paper work in wich case you are as screwed as you are if you want to drive it before 2 years.

I love the weather here in California, but am sick to death of the government from Goobener Davis, all the way down to the DMV lady! After we boot out Davis, we should start cleaning out the rest of the legislature!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I went thru this when I bought my car 3 years ago because the PO had let the reg lapse for several years.

I honestly pleaded with the clerk for some slack, stated the veh was in storage, not driven, covered with leaves, I'd gladly bring in photo's etc. She called a sup over and they only made me pay the previous year's reg.

Key to this was a very nice clerk (roll of the dice), and a very calm, but sorrowful, voice on my part. Good luck, it can be done.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A long time ago I was able to fill out an affidavit stating that the vehicle had been in storage for the period of non-operation...but after researching the DMV site for a while it appears that this is no longer possible, as we are now required to purchase (file a certificate of planned non-operation) a non-op status prior to the registration date to avoid penalties (which are inherited with the title). The only thing I can suggest is to try a AAA office if you are a member. They tend to be more customer service oriented and have much shorter lines than the DMV.

What kind of bike did you get?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
FYI, I tried AAA; They are AAA employees and they advised me they did not have the leeway to waive DMV penalties. If I wanted to apply for any break in the fees, I'd have to visit a DMV office.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts