Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifting linkage has something wrong with it. I don’t know what’s going on with my 65’ automatic, but I cannot put the car in park. I can get it in every other gear. I have read the manual, played around with it, but can’t figure it out. What could be wrong? How do I fix it?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If you put the car up on blocks you can crawl under it and adjust the shift linkage. Where the shifter attaches to the rod that goes to the trans there is a nut you can loosen and move the linkage to where it works. If it were me, I'd remove the shifter itself while your at it and replace the plastic bushing that it rides on. Those can wear, get sloppy and cause the adjustment to be not quite right......it's like a 50 cent part but probably costs about 5 bucks nowadays.....

https://www.cjponyparts.com/automat...MI8NmomcSe5AIVGR-tBh2m9wOzEAQYASABEgK87fD_BwE

that's what they look like.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ace Hardware has a lot of stuff like this. I found the one for my brake pedal linkage there. It was a perfect replacement.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
The transmission neutrals in park and the parking pawl(fancy word for a notched steel disc) is supposed to lock the car's transmission so it won't just go rolling down the hill.

I had a problem with the pawl engagement lever in a C4 once. It broke. I couldn't find one anywhere so I wound up having to scavenge the engagement rod out of another old C4 I have.

It could be that your shift mechanism isn't throwing far enough to get the transmission to the park position so the pawl linkage can be engaged. The other possibility is that the pawl linkage rod or possibly the spring in the pawl latch is broken or something else related to the parts involved in the pawl has a problem. I the latch end that catches the slot in the pawl gets rounded off that will also prevent it from locking up in park.

The shifter adjustment is external but all the rest of that business with the pawl is inside the transmission. You can at least diagnose it if it isn't a simple shifter adjustment by dropping the pan to see what the pawl linkage rod and the pawl mechanism are doing when you shift in and out of park.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I agree with the previous suggestions. The first and easiest thing I would check is the shifter itself.
When you push the button on the shifter, it lifts a cable that engages and disengages different gate positions in the shifter body.
I recall that the park position had the tallest gate.
If the cable, which is adjustable, has too much slack, it won't allow the shifter to slide into the park position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts