Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67' automatic convertable with a 2bb 289 and want to change out to a 71'390 4spd out of a FORD 3/4 ton truck. Is this posible?
Are the engine mounts the same and would there be a lot of modification needed?
Are truck engines much different than car engines?
Can I swap out almost any carberated year ford engine and it will fit in the 67' mustang with out modification?
Also I would like to change to the 4spd can the truck one be used?
And how many of the trucks manual shift parts can be reused?

Thank you for your help as you can tell I need it.
Ryan

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The truck transmission is not intended for H.P. applications and would require much modification to use... Don't attempt to use a truck 4sp!
Engine mounts are avalable, but I advise aganst this... The truck 390 (IMO) won't make your car any faster than with a mild 302.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would recommend against this swap.
First off, changing to a big block requires
-new motor mounts
-new bell housing
-new zbar
-new radiator
-heavier springs
-maybe a new clutch

Second, a truck 390 and a car 390 have very different heads, and when I was cosidering this swap, I found the GT heads the Mustang needs to be rather hard to find.

Third, the FE motors (352, 390, 427, 428) are a very tight fit in a 1967 (you need to actually break the heads off spark plugs to change them out) If you want to go big block, get a 429 or 460, they fit much better, usually cost less, and are much more powerful, especially at low end. (460 starts at around 430 HP) My suggestion if you want more out of your car is a built-up 351w. They will fit right in where the 289 came out and you can do some incredible things with them. A big block swap is a very difficult one.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
you need the frame brackets for a big block (if you look under your engine you'll see small block brackets currently bolted between the motor mounts and the frame...kinda like adapters)

I THOROUGHLY disagree with the other post.....the 390 is big enough that it didn't need some lame cam to build torque for truck applications......I bet it would feel like twice the previous motor was dropped in!!!! 390's are GREAT motors!!!!!

As for the 4 speed, I'd pass on it.....an automatic for FE motors would be easier to install and be nicer on the rest of the car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So only engines out of cars such as a Galaxie 500, ltd, Granada, Torino should be used in a swap out if it will make a diff in performance.
I guess I am asking about doner cars, what Ford merc. or lincons autos make good 67' mustang doner cars for engines trasmissions and disc brakes? I am looking to increase power and breaking ablity.
I thought a 390 was still a small block?
Can a 390 just be droped in to where the 289 was?
So what about c6 vs. c4 tranny?
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Have you considered one of the newer Crate Engines that are out there? Sounds like originality isn't a concern so, you might want to go that route.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Get a 351w, build it up a little, and use the c4 for a tranny. That IMHO is your best bet for a lot more power and a far easier swap.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
A 390 is an FE motor, which means it has the same outwardly dimensions as a 428, 427, 352, etc.

A 390 will NOT bolt to a 302 transmission, you'll run into several problems adapting a 390 such as radiator, front springs, exhaust system, transmission, shift linkage, power steering brackets/hoses, driveshaft, rear crossmsmber, etc., all different on a 390 car.

A much simpler swap would be a 351W. You can use the 302 transmission, motor mounts, flywheel, radiator, power steering brackets, pulleys, etc.

FYI, 99% of the FE's that came from pickups were actually 360's or 352's.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
First, the swap would be very difficult. Second, the 390 was never the greatest performance engine in the Ford line. If it had been successful in the high performance role Ford wouldn't have needed to develop the 428CJ. The 351W is an excellent choice for an engine swap. A mildly prepared 351W can easily run with or ahead of a 390 car. Even if you bought one of the 351W stroker engines with displacement up to 427 c.i. you may still come away cheaper than the big block swap. And, the 390 is heavy. Why go to the bother?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts