Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first: I have a 67 Mustang with a 347 and T5 tranny, I just did the conversion and installed everything this past weekend. Today was the first day for me to start the car and attempt to drive it...

First problem: When the car is idling it vibrates a little bit, when I rev up the enigne the vibration gets rougher and worst with the rpms, this is while not driving, it does the same while driving... The vibrations are really really bad!
:wtf:
Second problem: I don't have any gears... to explain I mean that I can find the gears by moving the shifter very slowly, however when I am in a gear I can move the shifter all around (like forward by a few inches and side to side) and it won't let go of the gear. There is no grinding, I drove the car a couple of miles today to get it to my house from the exhaust shop, and I found every gear including reverse, just took a little bit of work and missing some gears....

BTW I have not tuned the carb yet if that might have a problem with the vibration.

I really need this car working ASAP, any ideas will be greatfully appreciated!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Reguarding the vibration, is this new after adding your transmission? have you verified the correct wieghts are on the crankshaft dampener and flywheel.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,634 Posts
Sure sounds like a flywheel/balancer mismatch. I drove a 5.0 car that a guy had mistakenly used a "302" flywheel on. At about 3K rpm it shook bad enough I thought the windows were going to come out of the car.
If you have a T5, you shouldn't be able to "row around" for gears. I strongly suspect you're missing a bushing at the bottom of the shifter or something. Probably something you can find by pulling the shifter and the shifter cap. Most folks can do this with the transmission still in, but you may have to take loose the trans crossmember to let it drop down some. You will probably need a "wiggle socket" for the front two shift cap bolts. If it has to come out because you have flywheel issues it's a LOT easier when the trans is out.

·
Registered
643 Posts
+1 on checking the flywheel weight.

As far as the slop in the shifter, is the trans rebuilt? If not, it could be dog tired. There are some pads inside the trans attached to the shift forks, the like to break/wear in high millage units. I think they are some kind of plastic. You might want to try a new shifter if yours is high mileage.

I have 120k on my shifter and its pretty crisp. I burned up the 2nd gear synchro though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so I was told by the tranny shop today that it was the shifter bushings or something under the shifter, they told me to access it and the kit is like $14 for the bushings/pins. As far as the vibration, I took it up to the machine shop, they had to time it, it was like 45 degrees off... and they told me to adjust the valves because they are off pretty good. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm suppose to take it back and put a different weight on my harmonic balancer because I might have the wrong one, thanks alot for your help, and btw does anyone know what damn bushing/pins the tranny guy is talking about?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,634 Posts
The shifter itself stabs into a plastic bushing, which I suspect to be missing. Beyond that the piece the shifter goes into has a steel ball and spring that help give that "click into gear" feeling. That whole small assembly is secured onto the shift rod by a roll pin. If the pin was broken I'd guess you'd never get any gears. Missing bushing would make it really sloppy and missing spring or ball would be super sloppy feeling.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
With the kind of dough you just spent you should make sure a couple of things:

What was the rotating assembly balanced to? 0 balance, 28 oz imbalance or heaven forbid a 50oz imbalance

Next verify the balance or imbalance of the flywheel. Make sure it matches the crank assembly.

Then verify the damper balance or imbalance.

I hope it wasn't new. That is a terrible way to break in a new engine.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've got to go with the imbalance too. With any luck, it's the wrong balancer being the easiest to fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is a brand new engine, from the Parker funnel web to the oil pan. Like I said, I haven't driven the car but maybe 20 miles at the most, the machine shop is like 2 blocks away from me. When they adjusted the timing correctly, some of the vibration went away. He really believes that by adjusting the valves it will go away, if not I'm going to drive it up there tomorrow to get them to put a different weight on the harmonic balancer... thanks again for the help, I will keep you posted.

GypsyR, I appreciate your post, that is exactly what the tranny shop told me it was something to do with the roll pin and bushing, they told me to bring it up there tomorrow and they'd help me change it out for like $20...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts