Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on car trailers? Any one know of any used ones for sale in VA or NC? What should I look for in a car trailer? Not looking to break my wallet, would be nice to have it as a multi-function utility trailer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I just bought one a few weeks ago, so I can give you the results of my search.

I looked at the following brands - Featherlite, Bri-Mar, Econo-trailer, US CargoPro, and Big Tex. All of the trailers I looked at were flat deck diamond-plate models with electric brakes (required in MA).

The Econo-trailer was, by far, the least expensive of the bunch but it showed. The frame is a welded box and the dealer told me to plan on having to repaint it within a fairly short time period. It had one of the slightest beaver tails of the bunch.

The Bri-Mar looks a lot like the Econo-trailer, but has a frame that runs from the tongue all the way back as one piece. Other than that, it's a big open flat bed with dual axles and removeable fenders (actually, all of them had dual axles and removeable fenders). It also had a relatively slight beaver tail. The price was the same as the USCargoPro and BigTex, but the wheels are the white spoke wheels with red and blue pinstripe that were popular a few years ago.

The Featherlites are nice trailers but extremely expensive. Still, they are the lightest of all.

The USCargoPro and Big Tex trailers were almost identical. They have the same type of frame as the Bri-Mar, but the front of the trailer is curved, with a syled guard rail. Both had styled steel wheels, but the USCargo is powder-coated to make the paint last better.

I bought the USCargoPro because it was in stock, it was the same price as the Big Tex, and I couldn't see any significant differences in the two from the spec sheet. I'm happy with the decision thus far, since my trailer tows very well and nothing seems to upset it.

If you're going used, any of the above brands can be had although the Featherlite will still be the pricy one. All of the above seemed to be good trailers, so it will come down to what matters most to you; price or performance. For me, I was willing to spend a bit more to get a trailer that I felt would offer additional stability and that was a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents, but it aint worth a dime! I'd make sure it was dual axel with electric brakes. If your looking for somethin enclosed, the mass manufactures are the way to go. If your looking for something more versital and open, your best bet is someone local that makes them. My estimate for something along this line would be $1500 to $2000. Check your local phone listing and some local publicised adverts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts