Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to buy the whole assembly or do they sell just the molding for the windows mines shot

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Probably harder to find for fastback and convertible, not aware that it's reproduced. Maybe directly from a glazier producing the windows?

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
672 Posts
You can repolish the stainless on yours, but the lower frames are prone to rusting. They have started to reproduce the frames in the last few years, but having replaced just the glass in mine in the past, it's worth every penny to buy a new one completely. It's a big job to remove the glass, clean out the channels, repolish all the stainless, then get the glass to actually seat completely in the frame with no gaps. Check out Auto City Classics in MN. They will even etch the Carlite logo and date code the glass for you if you like. Otherwise, there are sources for just the frames, including CJs.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that molding/trim is stainless. How would it be shot?
It’s slightly surface rusted and it is also pitted. I’ll post so pics of mine when I get home

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can repolish the stainless on yours, but the lower frames are prone to rusting. They have started to reproduce the frames in the last few years, but having replaced just the glass in mine in the past, it's worth every penny to buy a new one completely. It's a big job to remove the glass, clean out the channels, repolish all the stainless, then get the glass to actually seat completely in the frame with no gaps. Check out Auto City Classics in MN. They will even etch the Carlite logo and date code the glass for you if you like. Otherwise, there are sources for just the frames, including CJs.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Im almost your neighbor, I live in Bayshore, you didn’t specify drivers is passenger side, just checked mine and they have opposite curves, let me know what side or else I may know someone who had one, Pete

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im almost your neighbor, I live in Bayshore, you didn’t specify drivers is passenger side, just checked mine and they have opposite curves, let me know what side or else I may know someone who had one, Pete
Are they new? Or originals? I need both the ones is pitted at top other is rusted at bottom

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sorry the ones I looked at are for the fastback I’m working on,the guy on Craigslist who’s in Farmingdale had a complete glass, I bought the door it came out of, I’ll look over weekend to see if I have any extra and I’ll pm you

·
Registered
820 Posts
I replaced the driver side lower portion of my '66, and the part fit well.
The original was rusted too much to justify using again.
Polishing the stainless was easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts