Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or at least inexperienced.

Touched up a bunch of spots last weekend, this weekend starting leveling them (2000 grit wet paper). Ok, now I have microscratches all over the areas. (This is expected, right?)

To take care of those, do I want fine grit rubbing compound, followed by hand glaze then wax?

Thanks.... I feel like such a fool when it comes to the exterior paint.

Steve

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You could do it by hand. Remember the Karate Kid 1? "Wax on...Wax off" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Or, if you have a buffer get some 3-M Finishing Polish & buff it. That's what I use.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely a "by hand" guy, Cruzer. My question is, is this what I should be doing (find rubbing compound, hand glaze, wax)? And if there are any non-obvious gotchas - or possibly even just slightly hidden ones.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Try using a quality compound, polish & wax combo. I haven't done much hand buffing in years. But I have done a few small areas not wanting to break out the buffer. Then I used the 3-M Finishing Polish followered by wax. The compound will help take away the small scratches left by the 2000. Then a good polish like 3-M to give it the shine.
I use a damp waxing pad to apply all. Repeat as needed with the polish/wax.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear; that I'm on the right track with this. I'd sure hate to make my paint worse in my effort to repair!

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Steve

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have been useing the 3m finishing compound and it is working very well. I took the top off useing the 3m coarse compound , it also works very well..Lots of rubbing but I couldn't find a buffer in town, and the exercise didn't hurt me much, few hand cramps, lol..
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts