·
Registered
5,947 Posts
First Wheel = Ultra 454

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,774 Posts
The Ultra 454 wheel in 17" x 8" has a 4.25" back space. Unfortunately, the best back space for a '67-'68 is 4.75" so tire selection with these wheels becomes more important. I initially ran 235/45's on the front and 245/45's on the rear. Even with rolled fenders, there were times when the fronts rubbed. A subsequent set of tires with 225/50 front and 235/50 rear were less prone to rubbing plus were smoother riding due to the taller side wall profile.

If you want a no hassle fit, take a look at the Coy's 67's which are very similar in style but come with the 4.75" backspace. The pic below is of the Coy's 67 wheels (Not my car)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ultra 454 wheel in 17" x 8" has a 4.25" back space. Unfortunately, the best back space for a '67-'68 is 4.75" so tire selection with these wheels becomes more important. I initially ran 235/45's on the front and 245/45's on the rear. Even with rolled fenders, there were times when the fronts rubbed. A subsequent set of tires with 225/50 front and 235/50 rear were less prone to rubbing plus were smoother riding due to the taller side wall profile.

If you want a no hassle fit, take a look at the Coy's 67's which are very similar in style but come with the 4.75" backspace. The pic below is of the Coy's 67 wheels (Not my car)

View attachment 819452
Thanks Jeff for the details ... this will certainly help make my decission faster and sooner.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
The Ultra 454 is a reimagining of the 10-spoke Halibrand wheel used on Cobras. There's a lot of wheels that look similar.

These are among the best but $$$$$$$$$:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I like the 2nd wheel a lot...kind of like a mix between ultra-lites and shelby-esque wheels, couldnt tell you what it is though

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,492 Posts
The Ultra 454 is a reimagining of the 10-spoke Halibrand wheel used on Cobras. There's a lot of wheels that look similar.

These are among the best but $$$$$$$$$:
I like my VN427s ;)

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Chris

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There is always the poor man's version I have on my car:

2005 Mustang v6 wheels. 16x7s, they require spacers/adapters to fit of course, but you can find them dirt cheap around $200 a set as the usual price. I will actually be swapping to 17s fairly soon simply because I need more room for the brakes I want to get, but I would keep them if I didn't want 13" brakes.(I really like the 16" size better than larger ones)

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Dimples
6,773 Posts
I like the 2nd wheel a lot...kind of like a mix between ultra-lites and shelby-esque wheels, couldnt tell you what it is though
Funny how tastes can differ. I actively dislike those. Don’t like the curve of the spokes, they seem too short with that massive bulge that connects the spokes to the rim, and the chrome looks bad in that application. Of course, I’m no more right or wrong than you are. Just interesting and quite honestly, fun how people can see things differently.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I tried to capture the look of the Halibrand wheels but did not pull it off to my satisfaction. I even used the Ultra 454 spinners.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Funny how tastes can differ. I actively dislike those. Don’t like the curve of the spokes, they seem too short with that massive bulge that connects the spokes to the rim, and the chrome looks bad in that application. Of course, I’m no more right or wrong than you are. Just interesting and quite honestly, fun how people can see things differently.
Well, to be clear I dislike chrome for wheels in general, I much prefer a natural aluminum finish(or gunmetal). I do like the curved spokes though, which is probably why I like mini-lite style wheels in general. Completely flat spokes look fine, but curved spokes and more lip tend to make it more 3 dimensional in a way. The funniest thing about wheel selection to me is once I have a set of wheels on a given vehicle and drive the car regularly I completely forget about how they look and never even notice it. To me they are good for first impressions, then completely forgotten. I also go back and forth on spinners, some days I like them, other days I don't. I certainly dont like the ones on my v6 wheels just because of the poor design where they attach to the wheel(one of those projects on my to-do list to improve upon)

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
249 Posts
2nd wheels was made by Raceline 238/239/240 GT wheels, but they are discontinued. I believe Autoworks restomod bought the remaining stock or had a manufacturer do it for them under their own brand, but unsure if they still make these wheels.

Autoworks International Parts | has a photo of this exact wheel pattern but with a non-stepped lip version.

I wanted these wheels but after I herd they were discontinued, it was either the VN427's or fr500s, I went with solid black fr500s which was a little more affordable. I plan on going with solid black vn427s at a later time or if I wanted to splurge on the vf307 their re-imagined wheel of the vn427

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

View attachment 819452
Reached out to Ultra and the mold for the 454 wore out and they didnt have enough orders to replace it (40K). I'll reach out to Coy.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,492 Posts
Here is that style wheel and the VN427. These are both 17” wheels however they look very different in size. I just want to make sure you have a good idea what they look like if you go up or down a size.

Tire Car Wheel Cloud Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Sky Land vehicle

Chris

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,492 Posts
Broken record here but I just can't fathom pretend wheels with both knockoffs and lug nuts, just like in public, you gotta hide your nuts...
I hear ya, but I tried black lug nuts and did not like how that looked and the hiders they make, I have not tried yet, but im not sure I like that look either.

Might have to work on a custom lug nut....

Chris

EDIT: I confess, I have liked knock offs ever since I saw my first ZZ Top Video Gimme All Your Loving....they promptly went on my first Mustang with Torq Thrusts(painted the centers black instead of the grey) back in 87

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1968 Coupe, 302/T5
75 Posts
FWIW I have the Coys on my ‘68 and they’ve been a good wheel. That being said, I’d swap them for 15” torque thrusts in the blink of an eye, but that’s just me. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts