Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of reassembling my 1968 302 4V engine and am looking at parts and photos and was trying to determine the purpose of this part. The previous owner had two of the ports jumped together. Not sure if that's how it was supposed to be. Anyone know what the piece is called? The picture was from before I took it apart, Piece is circle in yellow with hoses going to it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Since it looks like it's coming off the intake manifold I vote for vacuum port. I'm just guessing though. Not an expert.

·
Premium Member
12,003 Posts
Distributor vacuum control valve?

We have a winner!
One of the ports was connected to manifold vacuum, one was connected to ported vacuum and the third was connected to the distributor. Under normal conditions ported vacuum was supplied to the distributor. If the engine temp exceeded a certain limit the temperature sensing device in DVCV switched from ported to manifold vacuum which increased the idle speed and the fan spun faster.

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
I'm in the process of reassembling my 1968 302 4V engine and am looking at parts and photos and was trying to determine the purpose of this part. The previous owner had two of the ports jumped together. Not sure if that's how it was supposed to be.
No, it's not. There were several variations on the connections, depending on options.

This is probably how yours was supposed to be connected-

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
22GT is right ! I you look closely at the pic you can see the red stripped manifold vacuum line. imho

yarb

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Refer to your shop manual page 9-25. You do have a Ford shop manual don’t you? It should be the very first thing you buy after the car!

Assuming you have an automatic transmission, the diagram 22GT posted is correct.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I took a closer look today at the engine, components, and the shop manual. The image GT22 posted is the closest diagram to what I have. The only difference is that I have only 1 port on the intake manifold fitting, not 2 or 4. Not sure why. None of the diagrams in the manual have a single port intake fitting. The car is a 1968 J-code 302 4V Automatic Transmission. I believe GT22's diagram is the correct one, except I do not have the multi port fitting. My air cleaner housing does have the actuator and trap door. Only thing I can think of is maybe someone changed the fitting at some point or maybe there is another configuration not in the manual.

Below is what I have. Any idea how I should connect everything or do I need a multi-port fitting?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Someone removed the multi port fitting on your manifold. They are pretty easy to find. I problem have one or two tucked away somewhere. I had to switch to one with more ports when added more accessories.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I need a three port fitting. (1) for the Transmission, (1) for the Air Cleaner Vacuum Override, and (1) for the Distributor Vacuum Control Valve. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Looks like I need a three port fitting. (1) for the Transmission, (1) for the Air Cleaner Vacuum Override, and (1) for the Distributor Vacuum Control Valve. Thanks guys.
There are actually two parts you need. Part 1 screws into the manifold and have a several small nipples for vacuum accessories.

Here is one on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/293149119079

Part 2 screws into Part 1 and has medium and large fittings for the transmission, power brakes etc. This part comes in several versions depending on how many fittings you need. If you have power brakes a fitting screws on the back of this. If not a plug goes in that hole.

Here is one from WCCC

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15570-Vacuum-Fitting-Brass-Intake-Manifold-Drum-Brakesv-Used-1968-1969-Mercury-Cougar-/-1968-1969-Ford-Mustang.html

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
Easy fix, and period correct- Put a T connector in the red stripe hose and connect the blue stripe hose to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts