Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sets of code numbers from a rear end, one from a tag, one from casting numbers. We are checking to see if this one that's for sale will bolt into our 65/289, and if it is possibly a 9 inch rear? Here are the two sets of code numbers.
S040B (NOT SURE WHICH SET OF NUMBERS IS OFF THE TAG)
The guy selling it thinks it may be an 8.8 and also gave us the measurement from axle hub to axle hub, which is 64.5 inches. It is set up for disc brakes, not sure if that is original or not? We have not seen the rear end yet and, obviously, the seller doesn't know much about it. Just wondering if this would be worthe picking up for install in our car. We have a T-5 set up already and are wondering if this rear end will bolt right in, and be a good combination with the 289 and a 5 speed tranny. Thanks in advance for the help, if you need any further dimensions or anything to further identify it, post away or p.m. me.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
IIRC, isn't the 8.8 an integral carrier rear? As opposed to the 9" having a drop-out carrier? If so, that would be one clue.

The width you quoted is substantially too long for your early Pony. Are you planning on narrowing the rear? IIRC, it would be about 7.25" too wide...(over stock).

Lastly, if the rear is set up for trailing arms and coils, you'd have to cut off all that stuff and weld on some spring pads. All that heat can tweek the housing tubes pretty good. When narrowing rears, the last thing I do is jig it and weld on the housing ends so all that tweeking doesn't affect axle alignment.

Get back to us with any further questions...some VMF'ers are more familiar with the 8.8's than I am so they can likely offer up the specifics you're looking for...

Good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
An 8.8 is way different than a 9". You can put the 8.8 in your car. I put an 8.8 from a late model stang in my 69 coupe. I thought it was a great deal, it already had discs, calipers and 3.73's. The only part of the project that was not too fun was cutting off all of the original late model mounting points. I also had to get new "mopar" spring pearches to mount the original suspention to the rear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Sounds way to confusing and too much work, just to get a lower gear rear and disc brakes. Too much for this rookie anyway!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you need a lower gear for an 8 inch or a 9 inch I can help. I have all kinds of ratio's and traction loc's for both. Denver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts