Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the dash finishing up the installation of my EPAS system and I noticed the tape in my wiring harness had a melted area next to the wiper motor. I started removing the tape and found a burnt wire with all the insulation melted. I continued removing the tape trying to find some insulation color to identify the wire. I removed the tape all the way to the left of the instrument cluster and I found where it joined a factory splice.( see sketch) There was some insulation on the wire and it looks to be light blue with a black tracer. I have looked over every page in my shop manual but cannot find it. I did some Googling and found a post that said it was the constant power for a rally pack. Any help would be appreciated. This has put the EPAS road test on the back burner until I get this problem solved.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Wire1.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GT, is that shown in the service manual? I looked till my old eyes got blurry. It melted the insulation on a couple of other wires but nothing that's not fixable. I have a feeling that it happened years ago. It never had fog lamps. Guess I got lucky.

yarb

·
Registered
954 Posts
It's a good chance that in it's past life that the other end of that lead got connected to ground. Trace the wire to the other end so it doesn't ground out again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you trace the wires back to the solenoid you may find that they are NOT protected by a fuse. If that is the case in your car, I suggest you consider adding a fuse of sufficient amperage near the solenoid to protect those circuits from a possible future "Car-B-Q".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a good chance that in it's past life that the other end of that lead got connected to ground. Trace the wire to the other end so it doesn't ground out again.
Travis It will not short out again. I cut it off and insulated it at the factory splice. I tried to find out where it ended but was able to tell. It melted the tape on the wiring harness all the way down next to the wiper motor but nothing past that. 22gt said it was a feed for fog lights which this car never had.

yarb

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you trace the wires back to the solenoid you may find that they are NOT protected by a fuse. If that is the case in your car, I suggest you consider adding a fuse of sufficient amperage near the solenoid to protect those circuits from a possible future "Car-B-Q".
Nothing to do with the solenoid byteme. It is/was a factory always hot lead for fog lights according to 22gt. I never was able to find it in the factory wiring diagrams.

yarb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts