Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '68 Coupe project came with a floor console base and a selection of parts. I know I have a manual and an automatic insert there.
As best as I can tell the section with the seat belt pockets is a '67, but I am not familiar with the three holes that are in the middle? Guessing something goes over that section as it does not have a brush finish, just flash chromed like the rest. A pad?
Also the garage door sections, is the one with the door a '67 and the other a '68 that accepts the pad?
20200204_004522.jpg

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, you are correct:

1. There is a trim piece for filling in between the ash tray at the back and the shifter plate.

2. The front piece with the door fitted in your photo is for a 1967.

·
Registered
36,471 Posts

1. 67 manual console top trim plate with brushed aluminum trim missing.
2. 67 auto console shift trim plate.
3. 68 radio trim plate with pad missing.
4. 68 radio trim plate with pad missing and radio knob holes cut (it's junk).
5. 65-68 manual trans shift boot trim, used only on cars with no console.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
67 Mustang consoles do not have any of the holes you have on your pieces. The holes are to accept a pad that is on top. The problem is that the long console trim is for a 67 Cougar and not a Mustang. The 67 Cougar had a unique top pad that covered the seat belt pockets but still had the ash tray in the same spot as the 67 Mustang. The 68 Mustang console has the seat belt pockets in the middle portion of the top pad and the ashtray is on the back angle of the pad. I would say all of your pieces (except the square trim) are 67 Cougar. Your base trim (long) is notched for the 4 speed insert, so putting the auto insert would leave a gap on the left side. Cougar guys would dig your 4 speed console. Not a common item.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
3. 67 Cougar console radio plate. It has the short 67 tambour handle.
4. Reinforcement plate for behind #3.
Just for the record, there were no appliques on the 67 console pieces. It is aftermarket repair kits that are the appliques to 'restore' (cover) the brushed aluminum finish-look portions of the original console.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Going to correct myself. 4 is 68 Mustang radio plate behind the soft trim. Also, there is no pad over the center of the 68 Mustang console.

67 Mustang:

67 Cougar:

68 Mustang:

68 Cougar:

68 XR7:

Attachments

Reactions: Randolph2112

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks to all who responded!
ylexot, that all make sense finally! My base has a couple little screw holes in the back so I assume those were for a pad. I will repair those and use it as it is perfect.
Never seen a radio delete plate!
I like the look of the '67's the best and correctness is not an issue. Maybe I should sell the Cougar manual plate and find a Mustang one. I had thought I would just put a metal back brushed applique over that area, but if it is desirable to someone I might rethink that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, with a little more digging I am thinking 4 is a '68 Cougar radio plate and 3 is a '68 Mustang radio plate?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
OK. Here's the photos of what a 67 Cougar console looks like. Yours might fit a 67/68 Mustang except for the piece that would cover those 3 holes. There may be the possibility of getting a soft cover or maybe a wood grain.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the parts breakdown and other pics! I thought I might just get rid of the Cougar parts and all and just pickup a repo console so I contacted west coast cougars and they were only interested in the dash plate and the ashtray, didn't seem to care a bit about the 4 speed plate or the mint condition base, so I think I am just going to use what I have and make it work. I may make a brushed aluminum plate to go where the holes are as I have a MTF one piece headliner with the brushed aluminum console.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
You are just two pads away from having the 67 Cougar console complete. There is an applique kit for the brushed aluminum areas to make it more 67 Mustang. You would need to do something about the radio plate, which unfortunately is very difficult to find in good condition. Yours is actually perfect in the radio mount area which is usually what's cut off. If you could find some vinyl that looks close to the camera case original finish, or even just use that on all the camera case parts it would at least match. Look up Tolex.
This stuff looks close:
Stick it to some sheet metal first to give it stiffness so it won't sag in the holes.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts