Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum but not Mustangs. I've owned a 66 but recently bought a 65 Mustang that i'm just now getting time to mess with. I know the previous owner had a 95 GT that he was using as a part car. The car came with the engine/tranny, efi and harness, radiator and rear end all out of the 95. At least I'm pretty certain the rear end is as well. it looks like an 8.8 and is already installed. What I don't know is what was done to the front. Initially I thought it was a Mustang II suspension but I can't find anything like it. Right now the 95 GT rims and tires are on it. My main concern is when I need brake pads/rotors or suspension parts and have no idea what to get. Hopefully someone has an idea what it is. Thanks in advance.
Also side note, if anyone knows what type of power steering that is and what size steering column I need for it.
IMG_20200519_110801600.jpg
IMG_20200519_110746617.jpg
IMG_20200519_110539402.jpg
IMG_20200519_110546446.jpg
IMG_20200519_110558533.jpg
IMG_20200519_110658731.jpg
IMG_20200519_110704447.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Looks like mid 90s Mustang or Crown Vic towers and steering to me but it's been awhile since I've stared at some. They did a super clean job on the engine bay !!

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
65 Mustang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking it may have been out of that same 95. I just wasn't sure and hoped someone else had it done. The motor mounts confused me a little as well but maybe they are set up for the 95 motor.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Rube Goldberg?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks like he moved the SN95 crossmember into the car. I can't see the spindles but it looks like it has a strut set-up. Fatman Fabrication makes a strut kit for these cars, but this looks like it was a stock SN95 install. Can you see the hub that rides on the spindle? Assume it's 5 lug? Is it tapered (like a MII or Fox body spindle where the outer bearing is smaller than the inside bearing? Or is it a pretty flat looking sealed hub? If it's an SN95 hub and spindle, you can add great brakes for next to nothing from a Cobra, etc. Looks well done in the photos. I'd disassemble, blast, prime and paint and it will look really awesome. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Mustang
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like he moved the SN95 crossmember into the car. I can't see the spindles but it looks like it has a strut set-up. Fatman Fabrication makes a strut kit for these cars, but this looks like it was a stock SN95 install. Can you see the hub that rides on the spindle? Assume it's 5 lug? Is it tapered (like a MII or Fox body spindle where the outer bearing is smaller than the inside bearing? Or is it a pretty flat looking sealed hub? If it's an SN95 hub and spindle, you can add great brakes for next to nothing from a Cobra, etc. Looks well done in the photos. I'd disassemble, blast, prime and paint and it will look really awesome. Good luck!
Thanks for the response. I haven't had a chance to take the wheels off and truly look at the spindles. I bet you are right though, he probably took the whole front cross member off and re welded it. I plan to sand blast everything, prime and paint I'm just in a buying parts frenzy and trying to stack everything up. At least now I feel comfortable with saying it's most likely a 95 front suspension.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's not Crown Vic. Or, if it is, they ommitted the upper control arms. Yikes.

If you are going to try and keep that suspension, one of the first things to look at is how to connect a steering shaft to that rack, with regard to exhaust and clutch linkage (if applicable).

·
Registered
601 Posts
A quick Google image search of "sn95 front suspension" or "sn95 front k member" shows near enough the same setup. So it definitely looks like an SN95 front suspension setup welded in.

I am no suspension expert, but if the K member geometry was not altered to fit it in the car, then it should perform okay regarding the suspension and steering.

It looks like someone has done quite a decent job with this. I would still want to go right through this to inspect it all and reassure myself it was all done okay. The SN95 Mustang must have a lot of aftermarket support for it, so some interesting upgrades could be had if wanted.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
You'll need a rear sump oil pan.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Someone grafted in a SN95 front suspension by the looks of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts