Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a Vintage Mustang, lol.

I have built a few big block Ford engines for Jet boats, but have never actually worked on small block Fords or the surrounding vehicles, so please excuse me if I sound ignorant.

I am.

Google is great, but first-hand knowledge is irreplaceable.

I started to tune-up the old girl last night. I was told the engine is not original, and receipts show a 408 Stroker build, with machine work and a rebuild done to the heads, but nothing denoting what the heads are...

The spark plugs that are IN the car are Autolite XP25s.

I went ahead and bought those just to get to work tuning, but I would really like to know what I am working with.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to ID the heads I have?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Usually when I see "408 stroker", I automatically assume a 351 Windsor because that's a very common build for that engine. Are the heads aluminum or cast iron?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Look for any external markings, codes, etc.

You might pull a valve cover and look for any numbers, etc. on the head under the valve cover.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Dimples
5,676 Posts
If this is a 408 stroker with iron heads, it'll be the first I've ever heard of. Most aluminum heads have markings on the front/back ends. Cast iron Ford heads have the markings under the valve covers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are definitely cast heads. I guess I won't know about the stroker kit until I tear it down, but there is a receipt for a stroker kit and a receipt for a shop to assemble one. It wasn't what sold the car, so I am not particularly worried either way.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Then pull the valve covers as HoustonGlock suggests and there will be numbers and markings cast into the heads to give you information. If not, just post pics on here and we'll help you out.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Autolite 25 is a 14mm taper seat plug. That points to a post-75-ish set of factory heads. There are also plenty of cast iron aftermarket heads that use them as well. Dart Iron Eagle comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
If they are factory Windsor style heads all you will find under the valve cover is 351 and the casting date. The actual casting number is on the bottom side of the intake ports. You will need to pull the intake manifold and use a mirror to see the casting number. But as long as you find the 351 (or 302) and the date code then you can narrow down the possibilities of which heads they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts