Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help ID'ing heads...

814 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Reckin' Crue Inc 
#1 ·
So, I bought a Vintage Mustang, lol.

I have built a few big block Ford engines for Jet boats, but have never actually worked on small block Fords or the surrounding vehicles, so please excuse me if I sound ignorant.

I am.

Google is great, but first-hand knowledge is irreplaceable.

I started to tune-up the old girl last night. I was told the engine is not original, and receipts show a 408 Stroker build, with machine work and a rebuild done to the heads, but nothing denoting what the heads are...

The spark plugs that are IN the car are Autolite XP25s.

I went ahead and bought those just to get to work tuning, but I would really like to know what I am working with.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to ID the heads I have?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#8 ·
If they are factory Windsor style heads all you will find under the valve cover is 351 and the casting date. The actual casting number is on the bottom side of the intake ports. You will need to pull the intake manifold and use a mirror to see the casting number. But as long as you find the 351 (or 302) and the date code then you can narrow down the possibilities of which heads they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.