Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The Mustang won't start this morning. It actually started and ran for 3 or 4 seconds then died and won't start again. A volt meter showed I am getting voltage to the coil when the ignition is in the on position. I hooked up a timing light and I am getting no spark out of the coil when cranking the engine.

Is there a definite way to tell if I have a Pertronix problem?, other than parts swapping. I suspect a Pertronix problem because I swapped in an old coil and had the same results.

Thanks for any help.
Kevin

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,655 Posts
You need at least 8 volts at the coil + post or the Pertronix won't work. Try swapping in a set of points and condensor and see if it starts.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went and bought another Pertronix and installed it. The car started right up, so a bad Pertronix unit it appears. It's only 4 months old so I'll get a replacement and have a spare for future problems.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
How do you have it wired? And how much resistance is in the coil you were running?

I ask, because over the past 6 months or so, I've killed 2 Pertronix units. I think I have the problem licked though.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you din't state what coil you had - if you have a 12 V coil you may have done it in since you instructions should have specified coil resistance limits. with engine running check voltage at coil and if it is about 6 to 9 Vs you should be alrifght. if ist is 12 V s you are not all right and someone may have taken your ballast wire out from coil to ign switch and put in 12 V coil vs std 6 V coil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts