Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a problem today. After trying to tweak the idle settings a little more, I parked the 'Stang back in the garage to avoid the rain, and decided to check the oil. YIKES!!! The oil level had increased about 1/4" to 3/8" past the "Max" line on the dipstick.

When I smell it, it smells like a rich exhaust. It's clear (not murky or foamy like when mixed with water), and still has the same color as the new oil I filled it with about 10 miles and 10 tuning settions ago.

If it's not water in there, then I must presume it's gasoline. Where would this be coming from? Would a misfiring or dead cylinder pump that much gasoline into the block, or would you suspect something is up with my new fuel pump?

I haven't checked compression on the cylinders but did acquire a compression gauge. The next time the weather permits, I will pull the car out and check it. While the engine is warming up I will also pull the plug wires one by one to see if there are any that don't affect the engine performance.

Presuming compression is within tolerance, and plugs are all firing, would your next blame be put on the fuel pump? Is there any way to validate or test where this is coming from?

Thanks in advance!
Glenn

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just a higher reading due to warmed oil, or ???

If you're sure it's "making oil", and it smells like gas, I'd be pulling that fuel pump to check for a ruptured diaphragm. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
One thing my daddy taught me way back when and this may or may not be correct, and may or may not be the situation here... but...

"Don't check your oil right when you start, or turn off the engine".

The dipstick is set to read the oil level that's sitting IN THE PAN... that's how they figure out what your level is supposed to be.. if you check your oil level while the engine's running, or right after you turn it off, you're getting the level of the oil that either didn't get sucked up, or the level minus whatever oil hasn't dripped back into the pan..

Also, I've noticed that the oil levels will look really wacky right after running it... the engine will whip oil all around, and some may go all over the dipstick. When you pull it out, it may LOOK like it's high...

I'd run it... then wait 20 minutes... then check it... if it's still high, then listen to others about possible causes... I have a feeling if you let it set and get to a "steady state"... you'll find it's normal.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got done checking the oil on my cold engine and it's obviously not due to "warmed" or "unsettled" oil. It's now at 5/8" past the max fill line.

The oil smells like exhaust (is that normal), and not really like gasoline.

This might be a dumb idea, but....

Does oil burn easily? If not, then could I put a few drops in a metal bucket and see if it ignites to test for gasoline mixed with the oil? ;)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Also may sure your PCV valve is working properly.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Loosen the drain plug and drain a little out and see what it looks like. If it is water it will be heavier than the oil and will be at the bottom of the pan and will come out first.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would not start it again until you find out whats going on. Fuel in the oil will thin your oil and could wipe your cam. Drain the oil, if there is no water its likely the fuel pump as was mentioned earlier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts