Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 fastback already has the 68 Shelby fiberglass parts. I'm trying to install the 67 Shelby inboard, in-grille, 5/34" HL setup. What I'd like to know is how best to accomplish this.

I was planning on:

1) Using these Cobranda repro HL buckets:
1967 Shelby Headlight Bucket

2) Use these chrome trim rings and fab 3 brackets in the grille for these to mount on.
1967 Shelby Headlight Ring (Each)

3) I guess I need to buy some kind of hardware kit that has springs, etc. for aiming/adjusting the HLs too. Not sure which kit I need right now.

I assume the above are no-brainers. However, what about mounting the HL buckets?

Should I:
a) Use this complete one piece assembly and replace the existing bracket I already have. Is this a bolt-in replacement and I will not have major clearance /alignment issues arising from the difference in 67 vs 68?
1967 Shelby Inboard Headlight Mounting Bracket Assembly

or

b) Use these and mount them on my existing 68 bracket. These need to be welded onto the existing bracket. Is this the better way to go since I know the main bracket is already installed and aligned properly?
1967 Shelby Inboard Headlight Mounting Kit

I prefer option A as it seems to be just bolt-on but I'm afraid that the vertical length of the brace on the 67 is different from the 68. Also, not sure if I may run into alignment issues on the horizontal plane too.

I searched and I didn't find the answers I'm looking for. I can't be the first one trying this mod.

Comments, suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think option B would be better because 67 shelbys have a longer front end than 67-68 mustangs. I'm not sure if the grills are in the same spot. Otherwise there aren't any differances between the brace. Scott

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think option B would be better because 67 shelbys have a longer front end than 67-68 mustangs. I'm not sure if the grills are in the same spot. Otherwise there aren't any differances between the brace. Scott
Although my 68 has the longer 68 shelby nose too - you've brought up another good point.

If I'm not mistaken, the 67 grille is straight/flat but the 68 I know has a slight v-shape to it. The HL buckets will sit too far back from the grille.

I think I'll just add some sort of spacers between the HL bucket and bracket or I'll have to fab some brackets to mount the HL bucket brackets closer to the front grille.

So, I think you're right. Option B will take more work but I think that will give me a better fit. Now I've got to find a welder or I just might give it a shot myself. I've never welded before and I don't have any equipment/safety items either. I'll ask around and see if someone I know can help me out.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the inboard 67 option A and headlight buckets all from Branda. The HL buckets have three ears on them that bolt them to the brace/brackets. You can see them in your attached picture. The brackets have 3 small holes you can also see in your pictures. You could use studs and nuts to space them as far or close as you need too. If you look real hard in my second photo you can see that is what I did. Also, the buckets have the spring and adjustment parts built in so you won't need anything additional for aligning.
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/gallery/0/72_07_10_08_9_24_58.jpg
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/gallery/2/72_18_10_09_3_35_26_1.jpg
my car is at the bodyshop due to a little accident or I would take better pics, these are some old ones I found on my computer

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. and pics tara. I actually went ahead and ordered the buckets and option A (pre-assembled) from Branda. Nice Car BTW!

After looking more at my 68, it actually looks like they might stick out more forward than being too far back. Once, I receive them, I'll see what exactly I have to deal with. The 68 is a little harder as the grille is slanted.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts