Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am having trouble installing the stainless trim that goes around a reproduction 71-72 Mach 1 grille. There are some plastic guides that the trim goes on to but I cant seem to pop them on without excessice force or bending. Do the trim pieces slide on a certain way or do they press in place? Has any one done this that can offer some tips or advice. Its a repro grille from Year one and the trim is used original

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
if i remember i slid my plastic clips on the ends of the trim, push them into position on the trim and then snapped them into the grill.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes that exactly how to do it. Slide the clips into the trim, then with it upside down position the clips by sliding them to where they will need to be to clip into the grille. Then lower the trim onto the grille and snap it in.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, but 71-72 are different the 73's have seperate clips. Mine are part of the grille. The stainless either slides on to them or pops on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Im pretty sure the clips slide into the trim and then you snap it into the grille in one piece

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
myth said:
Im pretty sure the clips slide into the trim and then you snap it into the grille in one piece
Ditto, that's how it works. You need to pull the clips out of the grill, slide thom into the trim and reinstall.

FWIW, I just bought the repop grille that had the trim already installed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,I think you are right. I just looked at a NPD and Year One catalog and found clips for 71-72. I was trying to Jam the moulding onto the grille where there are some plastic stubs. Im going to order some and see if that solves it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts