Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm an idiot. This past weekend, I installed a new instrument bezel and lenses on my car. I just found out tonight that the lights don't work (to illuminate the guages) when the headlights are on. They did work before, now they don't. I swear I hooked everything back up correctly.... Ideas????

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
First, check to make sure that the headlight knob controlling the panel lights rheostat isn't turned all the way "off" (opposite side from the dome light "on" side).

Second, make sure that you reconnected both the large and the small connectors (as well as the wiper switch) when you reinstalled the instrument bezel into the dash.

Third, IIRC the power wire for that circuit is light blue with a red stripe. Check to make sure that wire is getting power up to the connector that plugs into the back of the instrument harness when the light switch is pulled to the "on" position. If not, you've likley got a bad connection or wire in that circuit and will need to either find the problem and fix it or splice around it. 35 year old wiring harnesses can be brittle and a wire or connector may have given up when you removed the instrument bezel. In the same vein, check to make sure that the main underdash wiring harness is firmly plugged into the headlight switch.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
313 Posts
Some what the same problem w/ my Son's Stang, this weekend. Very good advice from others here. We did end of replacing the light switch, and make sure you got the switch knob in all the way. His lights, were going on and off. Much brighter lights, and ground now.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Gotta be a ground-do you have a good ground strap from the back of the motor to the firewall? It took me 2 days of trouble shooting and taking my bezel on an off several times only to find out that my motor builder had not re-installed the ground wire.

J. Boggs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts