Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to loss faith in this project :( .I went to start my car today it would`nt start and its making this weird sound here is a video. sorry for the bad video and sound quality ur going to have turn ur speakers up and listen carefully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aKI50Ov6U
could it be the starter,alternator :shrug:

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I can't hear any sound in the video (Well, not distinctly) but I think you're going about this the wrong way.. When is it making this noise you speak of? If it's when you're actually cranking the car, it's the starter (Or flywheel, or ring gear).. The alternators function is to provide charging to the battery once the car is running.

Therefore, probably unrelated, if your car cranks over fine, but then dies after running for a bit, and then won't start again, it's probably your alternator. As the battery had the juice to start the car, but then wasn't being charged by the alternator (But was being discharged from ignition, lights, etc). If your car won't start (Won't crank.. Just clicks, or nothing at all) and then will run fine, but won't start again once you turn it off, it's probabyl your battery.

But since i THINK your video is of you trying to start your car and I assume it makes a grinding noise or something, it's probably your starter alignment.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Hi, it would help if you give us more to go on like describing the noise, does the car actually start, etc. I held my speaker to my ears and couldn't figure out if it was running, just cranking or the bendix was spinning.

Try doing it at night with your headlights on, if they dim and it's making a clicking noise from the solenoid I'd say you have a dead battery or bad connections to/from the battery or starter.
If you've got a battery jump box or can borrow one, that would be the best way to go first, if not you can carefully jump it with another car.

If that gives it more power or enough to start, next thing i would do is take the battery out and take it to a parts store for a quick charge and test, that's free everywhere I go.

Again, the biggest clue that your not getting enough power to the starter for it to start is the clicking noise at the solenoid. I wouldn't suspect the alt. until you get it running and see if it pulls the battery down while running with the lights on, next step is to take the alt. in for testing (free again), if it's bad I'd change out the Voltage regulator at the same time.
HTH, Jon

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah when i try to start it up all i hear is clicks

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Oh if you hear clicks, then make sure your connection to teh battery is good, and then as stated, taek it to get tested for free.. And then read my last paragraph of my last post.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That clicking noise is the contacts in the solenoid not getting enough juice to make a good connection, try jumping by box or car, it should start. Look for corrosion on batt. terminals, worn out cables, if not something could be pulling the batt. down, test it first.
Jon

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Low battery

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I'll make this pretty simple. Put a battery charger on the battery. Try and start the car. If it starts, obviously, it is not your starter, this only leaves the battery and alternator. Remove the battery charger now. If the car runs just fine and never dies, your battery is the problem(take it to any parts store for testing). If it dies after a little bit, it is the alternator(also can be tested at any parts store).

Now, in the event that you throw a battery charger on and it still just clicks, then it is your starter.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Now, in the event that you throw a battery charger on and it still just clicks, then it is your starter.
Not necessarily. If the battery has a dead cell (or multiple dead cells) or is very low on electrolite, you can charge it from now until hell freezes over, it won't charge, and it won't start the car (but solenoid may do the clicking).

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I've had plenty of cars start from just a charger even with a bad battery(in fact I just did it last week :p ).

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can make it to a parts store, I'd second the recommendation to get the vital parts tested. My 67 went dead the other day and I was sure it was the alternator...well, got the car jumped and to the store, turned out the battery was bad. The same battery I bought new just a month ago.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The same battery I bought new just a month ago.[/quote] i got a new battery like late last year. for winter my car was stored outside with the battery in it could the battery have already die

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Did you drive it? Because if you're driving it every so often, you'd know if it was dead. But if you didn't drive it much, then definately. Would be dead quickly, and then it would freeze. And thats all she wrote.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Yeah, you should have took the battery out and took it inside somewhere. It could have very easily lost its charge if you didn't drive it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you determine this is a starter problem but the starter tests good, check your (cheap and easy to change) starter solenoid.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Ahh yes, bad starter solenoid could make the clicky sound (Well, it IS what makes the clicky sound).. But i mean, if you left it out for your winter, i'm still betting thats your problem.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did leave it outside for all of winter and i didnt drive it

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've had my battery do the same thing last year, i brought it to the local auto store and they ran a test on it, turned out to be a faulty battery...so now for the winter i'm having a battery tender taking care of that..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
now only if i can find the receipt

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Depending on where you bought it, it may be in the computer. Places like Advance and Auto Zone should have it still in their computers. Also, you might want to make sure it is the battery before you go lookin too hard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts