Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Kevin Marti the only source for VIN information?

Is there any way to get information on 1966 Mustangs?

I have a title and matching VIN in the engine bay.
No door tag though!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry, no report available for 66. With a little detective work you should be able to figure out most of what was on the data plate. Look for a build sheet on the wiring harness behind the dash, under the seat springs or under the carpet. You might also have a buck tag screwed to the inside of the engine compartment. Those can also yield some useful information when decoded. Also, do a search, lots more on this subject.

K

·
0 Posts
I think the story is that Ford lost all of its records prior to 67 to a fire or some other misfortune. Marti has been the official Ford record keeper since though.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I think the story is that Ford lost all of its records prior to 67 to a fire or some other misfortune. Marti has been the official Ford record keeper since though.
I thought Ford just tossed them..... ::

·
Registered
890 Posts
Whether it was a fire, or Ford just discarded them is a moot point. They ain't available, and Marti can't get them. I know of no other source other than Marti for years following.THIS DECODER is about all the help you are gonna get with your 66.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that pretty much sucks, All I have is the VIN. The car is a MAJOR project with some parts.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Kind of a double edge sword; no way to positively identify how it came out of the factory beyond the basic VIN info, but ... you can paint it any color you want, do any interior you want, option it out any way you want, even change the tranny and rear end, and nobody will be able to tell you it didn't roll of the factory floor that way! And if you want to be real sly, Marti will punch you out a new door data tag with the proper codes reflecting how you built it!

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Oh, don't go there.........

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I thought Ford just tossed them..... ::

.......they did, in the fire!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
There was a tv show on the Marti Car Museum I watched and included an interview with Mr. Marti.
He said: "[I paraphrase] Ford did the production build info on punch cards fed in to a computer. The computer did not have enough memory to keep storing the data (ran out of memory) and so was purged to only keep what was needed... For 1967 production the computer was upgraded and could now store the data..."

I think it was this:

Reactions: my289

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I'm guessing he may hove found what he was looking for....13 years ago!!!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Kind of a double edge sword; no way to positively identify how it came out of the factory beyond the basic VIN info, but ... you can paint it any color you want, do any interior you want, option it out any way you want, even change the tranny and rear end, and nobody will be able to tell you it didn't roll of the factory floor that way! And if you want to be real sly, Marti will punch you out a new door data tag with the proper codes reflecting how you built it!
Well since it's resurrected, how is that for advice? Should fit nicely with the VIN thread we have currently running...

Allen

·
Registered
546 Posts
He could look for a Buck tag or underneath the dash for a build sheet. It's not completely hopeless because a Marti report isn't available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts