Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 V8 Coupe w/drum brakes. Am replacing the entire front suspension components and am 95% complete minus the passenger side lower contol arm. The bolt from the lower control arm will not come out of the spindle. I have tried all the following:

1. Leave nut on and pound with hammer
2. Inserted pickle fork and pounded with hammer
3. Sprayed PB lubricant and reapeated step #1
4. Heated up the spindle and repeated step #1
5. Sprayed CRC freeze off on the bolt and repeated step #1
6. Repeated steps 3-5 repeatedly

I'm having zero luck and my patience is gone. Any other suggestions before I remove the spindle completely and take the darn thing to a shop?

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Yeah, you need a proper Mustang ball joint tool. Since the Ford one is extinct, this one will do:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22GT - Based on blow up of photo, that is a 2 1/2 inch center piece, 3/4 nut and my assumption is one bolt on each end, correct? 6 1/2 inches total length?

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
That's about right. Use 3/4 fine thread, and grade 8 if you can get it. I think the one in the photo is all grade 8 except the long nut, which is grade 5.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
22GT - So I just use that to pound out the bolt from the spindle, right? I'm heading out now to get all the components and really hope this works. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is Not a Bolt. It is a Threaded Stud coming out of your Rubber Ball Joint below Spindle. The Spindle has to slide up and off the Stud. All you have to do is separate the years of the spindle pressing on to that stud. The Stud does not come out from the bottom. Insert Pickle fork under the Spindle and between it and the very thin metal tab ring at top of ball joint.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
True. It's a 7° tapered pin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MagMustangs - I'm tracking on the stud vs. bolt reference. I'm replacing the entire lower control arm with a new one that has the ball joint already installed on it, so I need to get the entire old one off. I tried the pickle fork as you mentioned and still no luck. It's as if the stud is frozen in the spindle. Any other suggestions for getting the stud to lower out of the spindle?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep, 40+ year old cars. Just to make sure, you have to have the pickle fork Above the little metal ring at top of ball joint, between it and spindle. Otherwise, you are just pushing the ball joint up too. Make sure to lube with WD-40, Tri-Flow, or Liquid Wrench. Or, use the Tool that 22GT suggests. There are no real tricks to this, sooner or later the spindle will pop off the stud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MagMustangs - I appreciate you and 22GT replying to my post. I'm headed back into the garage to keep on working. Hopefully I be posting about my success later on today. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Slide the fork above the rubber and below the spindle and whack it with a BFH. While the fork is stuck in under pressure, rap the spindle near the stud hole with a hammer to shock it loose.
Repeat hammer blows as needed, it will pop off.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
I'm replacing the entire lower control arm with a new one that has the ball joint already installed on it, so I need to get the entire old one off.
I've never seen a lower arm without one, or a lower ball by itself. The lower arm is subject to torsional stress, and deteriorates with age. The replacement theory holds that if the ball is shot, the arm is on it's way out, too, and that would be lethal.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Slide the fork above the rubber and below the spindle and whack it with a BFH. While the fork is stuck in under pressure, rap the spindle near the stud hole with a hammer to shock it loose.
Repeat hammer blows as needed, it will pop off.
The advantage to the tool I showed is it does the job quickly and easily, with no damage to the spindle or ball joint, if either is to be re-used. A lot of show car owners wil get really, really pissed if you leave hammer and pickle fork marks on their spindles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it took awhile, but I was finally able to get it out last Sunday...

1. After trying BFH, pickle fork, etc. to no avail, I decided to remove the spindle and take the whole thing with the lower control arm attached to a shop nearby. No luck there as the ball joint started to shear off underneath the spindle from being placed into a vice. (not going back there for help)
2. Cut off the rest of the lower control arm just above the ball joint (and above where it had started to shear off) and cut off most of the top of the stud above the spindle.
3. Used a drill to make a hole in the stud, and then filed down one side of the stud.
4. Pulled out the BFH again and started to rotate what was left of the stud inside the spindle and the dang thing finally slid out with a couple whacks on the top.

Was a heck of an odyssey, but finally got it done and the entire front suspension has finally been replaced. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts