Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new carburetor. I need performance but reliability and decent gas mileage. Right now I get 10mpg on the freeway and my car isn't even that fast. I have a somewhat built engine. I have a Carter AFB comp. series 625cfm carb, edelbrock performer 289 intake, a mild crane cam, and headers. When I stomp on it, sometimes it just lags down, but sometimes it takes of like a rocket. It does pretty good on the freeway... I know that it is flooding and running too rich. I want to get a new carb that won't hurt my performance and will give me a lot better gas mileage. Please give me you suggestions on what would be best. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
That's quite a bit of carb for a 289.

Some of us, myself included, prefer Ford's 4100 carb, rated at 470 cfm. It's easy to tune, rebuild, and is a great little carb.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That carter isn't horrendously oversize for a 289....a 500 cfm edelbrock would be better, but there shouldnt be a reason to run ridiculously rich

If it's flooding, things are pretty out of whack....consider rebuilding it and get experienced help so it's rebuilt, installed and tuned right!!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
For over 12 years, we've been getting reman'ed 4100's from Pony Carbs. Just tell Jon what you are doing to the engine, and he builds the carb to fit. You can even use the 1.12 (600 CFM) if you've gone radical, but I put one of his 470's on my 66 428 T-Bird and it ran better than the original 600 carb! It's about the same cost as these aftermarket's and the 4100's are almost idiot-proof! I put 160,000 miles on the 1st one I got from him, sent it back to go over and have another 30,000 miles since then! On a 64 1/2 conv. I have gotten as much as 22 MPG on the Hwy. I have a 2.80 rear w/ the Granada manual O/D and a final of 2.24, or 3K @ 90 MPH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts