Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SWMBO never ceases to amaze me.

I was pleading my case for spending a few hundred on a new induction system for my 289, it is time to retire the 2bbl and cast iron manifold. I thought it would be like pulling teeth. While getting ready to play my trump card (selling my bike to finance parts) she flattened me with "why don't you replace that nasty exhaust while you are at it". DANG! Without going too crazy I have picked out Heddman's cheap long tube headers and I am debating either 40 or 50 series flowmaster muffs. I should point out that the car currently has glasspacks and turn downs at the rear axle. I plan on keeping the "short" exhaust system, but I wondered how the flowmasters would compare to glasspacks noise-wise. I like it loud, but not too harsh. If it matters I am going with 2.25 inch mufflers and pipes. BTW can anyone recommend a decent protective coating for headers?

Thanks as always for your opinions.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I've got Flowmaster delta 40's on my 66 (302, tri-y's). I LOVE them. Nice agressive rumble. Screams when I romp on it, but gently burbles during idle and easy driving, no nasty resonances or drones. Plus, they're real small and give you better options in muffler mounting. In my case, my coupe is pretty well sealed up with new weatherstrip and sound deadener. I've heard folks with verts who think the 40s are too loud.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello,

I just visited your website and I like the new tires and mag's you put on your Mustang.I am getting ready to put something better on the back of my white 66 coupe and I was wondering what size tires you are running on the back (I will guess P215 60 R15)? They look great !

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I really like the nostalgic 60's look, small front - big back and just a little raised in back. I got a great deal on the wheels. My neighbor was upgrading the wheels /tires on his 66 vert and offered me the rims and tires for $150. I jumped on that deal. I can check on the tire size tonight and post it to this thread. I think I can go a little wider in back, but the fronts are perfect. They don't rub at all and the space is filled up pretty well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello,

Me again.....I think you are bang on with the Color of Blue you painted your engine.

There are several people on this forum that keep saying Corporate Blue came on the early 289's but I have always remembered a lighter blue (like yours).

Do you mind me asking you what brand of paint you used? If it's Corporate Blue then I will eat my hat.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
While the lighter blue is indeed attractive, Ford Dark Corporate Blue is the corect color for Mustang V8s starting with 1966 - guaranteed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think I'm really hung up on this one.....I even remember seeing Ford production pictures of the engines being droped into the cars and they were all that light blue.

Now.....one thing I do know is that the Cobra's all came with a Dark Blue engine block, would the regular 289's have been the lighter color?

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got a pair of lifetime Midas mufflers on my full dual setup. They sound great and have lasted for about 8 years thus far. You may assume they're quiet, since they're a stock type unit, but with a warmed over engine they make a nice rumble that turns heads.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have Super Comp headers and the 40 series and I love how my car sounds so I'll recommend those. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Lots of complements too! I have Dynomax Super Turbos on the 96 and they are too quiet, although it is a V6 so they'd probably sound nice on your 289.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts